584,837 active members*
5,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Freedom Patriot router

I have an interesting opportunity to purchase a Freedom Patriot CNC router. It's interesting because the guy selling it wants to keep the Fagor control and just sell the table and spindle. Basically I would be purchasing everything but the control. It's only a year old and has never been abused. I was in the planning stages of buying a Precision PLasma router/plasma gantry and CandCNC stepper kit. Purchasing this would save me a bunch of time and get me a much nicer machine in the end for potentially a lot less money. My problem is that I was depending on CandCNC's motor/wiring kit going together without much trouble on my end as I'm mechanically inclined but not too experienced with the electronics side.

So is there a way for me to drive this Servo gantry and Z with a windows based software? It looks like the Z servo is a Glentek GMBM801000-39 1000watt. I'll check the other x and y motors today and see what they are. A picture from thier site shows the X and Y having Fagor motors and Amplifiers. What are the amplifiers for?

Usually 'amplifier' refers to the motor driver. It's more common with higher power industrial equipment. You could control the machine with Mach3 or any other control program. The trick would be figuring out how to interface with the drives. Step and direction, as commonly used with Mach, might not be an option.
    CNC mill build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical_mill_lathe_project_log/110305-gantry_mill.html