585,676 active members*
4,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Phase Converter

I bought an old Hurco SM1 mill with a 3hp 3 phase motor and need to get it running on single phase. Talked to a few people and 1 says a static converter will work fine, another says that won't work and I need to go with what he called a rotor or something like that (similar to a vfd from what I understood). Can't really afford anything other than the static converter because I know the mill needs a belt and possibly new spindle bearings. Anyone have one of these running on a static phase converter? It's either a static or I will probably just have to sell it. Thanks!

Check to see if the motor will take or convert to 220 and put a VFD on it.
    A static convertor probably cost just as much, a rotary may be cheaper, but the VFD is the best solution, IMO.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Actually the static is only around a $100. The motor is 220 but 3 phase, guess I should have mentioned that. Is there a reasonable priced motor swap by chance that would work? I looked at the Hurco website but I didn't see anywhere I could order parts, know a website that sells parts for it?

A 1ph 3hp motor will cost you more than $100, if you can get it for that price, it may be the way to go, make sure all the 1ph control is fed direct from 240 or 120 1ph, and not from the artificial phase.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I use one of these:

3 Hp VFD Phase Converter

on my KM3, I haven't got much milling time on it yet, so I can't be 100% it's the right one for you, or even for me, but I can update once I get some more time one it. It does run the spindle motor quite satisfactorily as well as providing electronic variable RPM.

I have a KM 3. What do you do with the variable speed? You can manually run the speed up and down. Also it has high & low (back gear). Haven't bought a VFD yet. Still finishing a retrofit on the hurco.:cheers:

As of right now, the VFD is just a phase converter. I do want to find out which part of the spindle system is governing the top RPM of the spindle and see how high I can crank the motor if I do a VFD digital RPM setting. I should ask bloke about that sometime.

My Hurco had a Cedarburg static phase converter on it.

That was used to start the spindle. The spindle became the rotary converter and that fed the 3 phase for the coolant pump and spindle speed adjustment motor.

The control ran on single phase 220v.

I bought it from a guy on the Practical Machinist site.

He had been running it like that for a few years.

I retrofitted it because of problems with the Servo drives.

It may have lowered the power of the spindle motor, but I never noticed.

JAckal :cheers:
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.

You run the transformers inside the box with single phase 220 and that provides all the power needed for the servos and the control.
    The Spindle motor and coolant pump require 3 phase.
    A simple 3 phase convertor can be used on the Spindle.
    I used a old heavy duty 2 HP motor and made my own rotary convertor and it worked for 2 years. Then I bought a 5 HP VFD and use it for the spindle motor without any problems

Talked to a local company and they recommended a VFD at $313 my cost especially since I will be tapping doing a rapid reverse and the mill is variable speed(from what I understand it varies the speed with shifting the belt but I'm not sure). He also recommended upgrading my breaker box to 200amp which I can get that for $110. I just need to find someone to do the work now. Below is a link to the same drive they sell on fleabay, anything I should be concerned with?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-hp-Hitachi...item519ba3f744

Well, You will not go wrong with Hitachi, my favorite VFD.
    I would feel more confortable with a 5 HP drive, but if Hitachi says 3 HP single phase in, then you will get it !
    The price you stated is high, even on eBay.
    Try this for a much lower cost for the same unit.
    Wolf Automation - Stocking Industrial Automation Distributor | Marshall Wolf Automation, Inc.
    When you go there, be sure to pick the 3 HP single phase unit in the window.

I have no affiliation with the above, just surfed the X200 number.
    ( X200 is the newer model by the way)

FYI
    You may want confirmation about rapid tapping,especially with a 3HP unit.
    First, you will need to use the Hurco Motor control relays as inputs to the VFD to get instant F/R . That means heat. To handle this , VFD's need heat sinks and/or load sinks (resistors) to brake the motor. The larger the VFD, the less extra braking sinks needed.

I have no idea why you need a 200 Amp box ?
    The Hurco uses no more than about 15 amps

It was actually a local business that recommended the 3hp, I'm assuming because the Hurco has a 3hp motor. If there isn't much price difference between the 3 and 5 I'll see what they say. Rapid reversing while tapping is the reason for using the VFD just to make sure you understood what I meant. They recommend the 200amp box because it is in my house, the garage is attached so I think they feel that I should add the bigger capacity because of the new 220v line. Maybe?

Not knowing your electrical distribution system in your home makes me unqualified to comment on the 200 amp box.
    I thought you were told you had to have it to run the Hurco, which I feel is overkill...but that is my opinion only.

The Hurco is 3 HP
    Instant reverse is not possible on smaller VFD's, especially when it match's Motor size
    That is a question to ask the vendor.
    I have a Hurco tapping head, but never use it , as I don't like instant reverse, and I prefer mechanical tap drivers which are self reversing

Hurco's do have a spindle brake, which I "assume" may come into play, but since I don't tap cycle mine, i don't know