585,880 active members*
9,135 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Belt question for Partner 4

Belt question for Partner 4

My 1992 Partner 4 has some headstock noise after sitting unused for three years. I had the spindle running for an hour or so yesterday and it's sounding better, leading me to believe it could be belt related instead of bearings in the quill/spindle.

My machine uses a VFD and has no variable speed reeves pulley system, according to the build sheet I need a BX-35 V belt for the motor to spindle.... but it appears from my parts list that I could have another belt to drive the back gear, it shows a part number of 230H, but it doesn't state what height, seems they come in 75 (3/4"), 100 (1") and so on up to several inches wide.

Does anybody have a clue what size is in there.... or if that belt every needs changing? Figured I would order in spares to have here when I tear into it....

back gear belt

the back gear belt is located under the "bowl gear" you would need to disassemble the upper head to get to it. These belts do not normally get alot of ware. My educated guess is the 1" width. H230100.

Sportybob

I did replace the BX-35 belt (with the help of a friend) and we found that the drive pulley on the motor was hanging about a 1/4" low. Loosened the pulley, slid it up to the shoulder on the motor shaft, tightened and installed the new belt and things are much quieter.

I still have some noise, doesn't honestly sound like belts though, suspect a bearing or two in the drivetrain somewhere is rattling just a bit... good news is the actual spindle bearings sound/seem ok though.