584,805 active members*
4,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to keep bits organized

I received my Romaxx CNC machine a week ago. I am brand new to CNC. I'm having a lot of fun learning how things work. I was surprised how quickly the machine setup. Cut my first piece within hours. Amazing. I ordered bits and have probably 10 of them. I'm sure I'll need more as I find new projects. My question is what do you have to keep the bits organized so you can quickly find the one you need. It's hard to look at a Vbit and tell if it's a 30 degree or 45 degree so I think organizing will be the best answer. I thought about getting a wood block drilling a few holes labeling the holes but I'm sure others may have a better way. If you have pictures that would be great too. Thanks in advance.

Organizing Bits

In response to your bit organizing issue, I am not sure whether or not your tools come in a plastic box or sleeve or not but in my old shop we would have the identifying information marked on it. Mind you they were for CNC lathe and therefore big enough to label easily.

Our motto became "a place for everything and everything in its place". It may be an idea if possible. It sure helps if you implement a system instead of wandering around looking for stuff and can't find it or identify it. I say to familiarize yourself in depth with your tool codes/i.d. system as once you are familiar it makes like easier on all fronts. We allocated a tool box that was subdivided into locations (e.g. A1, A2 ,B1,B2 etc...whatever way you like) so that if you had set up sheets/tool lists you knew where to look as the location can be listed on there, chuck jaws also If it wasn't there it meant you didn't have it. Again this was in a production machine shop and I am not sure what kind of budget you are working with. We were working with 3 CNC lathes and it definitely helped cut out a ton of wasted time.

If I think of anything else or you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Regards and good luck!