585,676 active members*
5,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 6 3456
    Hello,

Has any one ever heard of putting a water pan under a plasma table just high enugh to tuch the bottom of the sheet of steel.

Quote Originally Posted by millerrocks06 View Post
    Hello,

Has any one ever heard of putting a water pan under a plasma table just high enugh to tuch the bottom of the sheet of steel.
    Yes, there are a number of users out there with water tables and/or suspended sheets. Check in the rest of the threads in this forum.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

So it does not hurt the plasma cutter to cut metal and hit water. Explain to me how that does not sort the machine out or something.

Quote Originally Posted by millerrocks06 View Post
    So it does not hurt the plasma cutter to cut metal and hit water. Explain to me how that does not sort the machine out or something.
    It's magic. Besides, the machine is already "shorted" when the Arc strikes the metal. There are pictures of several semi-submerged water tables being used in the photos section of my CandCNCSupport Yahoo Group in the photos section.

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

I have been looking at the PlasmaCam machine and wanted to know how this setup compares in acuracy to the PlasmaCam .005" and what is the estimated cost to build this machine?

Quote Originally Posted by 20B3rdgen View Post
    I have been looking at the PlasmaCam machine and wanted to know how this setup compares in acuracy to the PlasmaCam .005" and what is the estimated cost to build this machine?
    I am fairly new to this forum, and by no means whatsoever am I an expert, but I would do a little more in depth search for PlasmaCam on here-- the feelings seem to be fairly negative towards it. Regarding the accuracy, from what I have read on here, you are going to be VERY hard pressed to get .005" on plasma, period, whether it be PlasmaCam or a DIY option. The machine itself can be within .005 fairly easy, but the problem is with the Plaz itself, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by 20B3rdgen View Post
    The PlasmaCam is a bit pricey for what you are recieving, as it is a 4x4 machine with software for 10k, with no plasma and no computer.
    It has been shown how accurate their machine is, and the machine itself is surely capable of moving in increments of .005". The problem is, a plasma arc/flame is not anywhere near that accurate. The kerf (amount of material removed by the arc) on most plasma's is around .05", alone.

In other words, you have a machine that is way more accurate than the cutting process used. It is nice to brag about how accurate the machine is (resolution), but in the real world, what good will .005 accuracy do you, when you remove 10 times that much metal as you cut? The kerf can be larger, especially on thicker metal.

Most of the DIY cnc plasma tables you see, including the one here on this thread, are accurate within roughly the same amount.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

You should be able to build a similar sized machine with a working Digital Torch Height Controller ,modern hybrid stepper motors and drives including software for about $3500 to $4000 USD. Add about $600 more for a 4 X 8 design and another $1000 to $1500 for a full blown Servo system that will give you 1200 IPM rapids and tight resolution.

If you want to buy a turn-key table, look for an open source system so you can get reasonable priced replacement parts from multiple sources and have more than one place to go for support and advice.

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

I agree with all of the above. If I was trying to maintain .005 it wouldn't be with a plasma. I can say that when I cut a 2" circle it measure 2" with a tape
    measure.

A THC will make a big difference on the cut if you are cutting metal thicker than 16ga.

Having things setup right as far as speed, accel. and decel makes a big difference.

But the thing I have found that makes the biggest difference is the support you get after you buy.

Here are the companies that go above and beyond.
    1. CandCNC or anything made by Soundlogic
    2. Mach software
    3. Gecko
    4. Sheetcam

There are others but these are the ones I have used that always amaze me.

I can't figure out how they have time to work they are always helping someone

mike

I need some Plasma Table Electronics help from the experts!!

Hey Mike, or anyone else that wants to respond...

1) What kind of a Power Supply do I need for the list of parts (copied below)?

2) Do you have a wiring diagram or do you still offer a wiring harness for this list?

3) I would sure like to use these motors if at all possible. These were the same motors I had on my Plasma Table before the wildfire went through & drastically changed my life. Would these work in place of the Ametek motors? Here is the link:

http://www.pittmannet.com/part_num_d...M14902S020.pdf

Thanks a lot,
    Bryan
    www.metalranchsigns.com

I need some Plasma Table Electronics help from the experts!!

Oops... I forgot to include the original list of CNC parts that mlaws1172 so kindly shared with us. Here it is!

Here is a list of electrical parts and software that
    go with the plans.
    1. gecko 320 servo drivers - 3 ea. @ $114.00 ea.
    -geckodrive.com

2. breakout board plus - 1 ea. @ $130.00 ea. -
    campbelldesigns.com

3. ametek 38 vdc servo motors - 2 ea. @ 90.00 ea. -
    you should be able to find these on ebay for this
    price or less. If you can't contact me.

4. servo motor @ about 100 in. oz. for z-axis you
    should be able to find for $75.00 or less on ebay. If
    you can't contact me.

5. E5D-500 encoders - 3 ea. @ $52.00 ea. -
    usdigital.com

6. EA-r10 receivers - 3 ea. @ $11.00 ea. -
    usdigital.com

7. 40 vdc 500 VA power supply - you can pick up a
    28-32 vac 500 va transformer on ebay and make one or
    contact me

8. control cabinet - I am working on a layout to run
    on the plasma. I have a sheetmetal shop, so if you
    want one I think I can make them for about $40.00 . I
    will also post the plans so you can make your own.

9. wiring harness - I am working on a plan that I will
    post. If you don't want to build one contact me. I
    think I can make one for about $100.00 including plug
    togethor connectors

10. Mach 3 software - cnc software - $159.00
    artofcnc.ca

11. sheetcam - cam software - $150.00 - sheetcam. com

12. a9cad - cad software - free - a9tech.com

I do this just for fun so any parts I sell is just to
    build more cnc machines. i want to make some more free
    plans but I don't want to turn this into a business. I
    want to help if I can and don't care about selling
    anything.
    Happy cutting
    mike laws
    Last edited by mlaws1172 : 11-15-2005 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks a lot,
    Bryan
    www.metalranchsigns.com

Water Table plans

Hi Mike
    I'm new. I am an architect designing a Metals shop for a junior college and would like to see you plans for the Plasma CNC water table. It might be the ticket for our needs.

Thanks

Doug

[email protected]

Doug
    sorry for the slow response. No problem, I will send the plans but it is not a water table. It won't take much to make it one and if the table looks like something that would work let me know.

If there is anything else I can do just ask.
    mike

Mike -

I would also like a copy of your plans. Thanks in advance.

My email is:
    keith at studysession dot com

Thanks
    Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com

plasma table plans

Hi Guys I am looking for a nice set of plasma table plans any help out there would be appreciated
    Thanks John

Smile

Hello Mike,
    I am building plasma table by myself. Is it possible to share the idea of plasma plan to me?

Ton

Sorry, I haven't been paying as close attention to this thread as should have, sometimes life just gets in the way.

Are the plasma table plans posted somewhere? I would really like to get a set.
    Yeah, but it'll cost ya'

Quote Originally Posted by tmechanic View Post
    Sorry, I haven't been paying as close attention to this thread as should have, sometimes life just gets in the way.

Are the plasma table plans posted somewhere? I would really like to get a set.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14488

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Ton
    Send me your email address and I will send you a set or download from the thread listed above

thanks
    mike

Plasma plan

Hi Mike,
    My address is [email protected]

Thanks for your help
    Ton

Page 5 of 6 3456