585,729 active members*
4,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MCX5 for SW toolpath question

MCX5 for SW toolpath question

I am in the process of learning mastercam stand alone as well as mastercam for solidworks. i can create a 3d toolpath easily in the stand alone version because theres a tab for it but there's no option for the 3d tool path in the solidworks version. There is a feature based mill but that doesn't workout. It might just be something simple that i am missing.

Do you have HSS or HSM that is were it would be I think.
    I dont use mastercam for solidworks but I went to west tech and talked about that package with the mastercam people and they said it is only for HSM.

Im not sure. theres a tab for 3d high speed toolpaths but it seems like its some kind of auto detect feature. it usualy trys to pick up every feature of the part.

Review picture is this what you want to be able to do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3d contour MC4SW.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

it seems to only allow 2d paths. in 4x 2d and 3d are under the same tab

They are still under the same 2 paths and when you do a contour it matters on how you pick the geo if you will get 2d or 3d contour. Now is this what you are looking for?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I am only allowed to pick the sketch used in the feature not the actual surface. I can pick the geometry using the facing mill but then i get an error about it not being in the construction plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliyanarchi View Post
    Im not sure. theres a tab for 3d high speed toolpaths but it seems like its some kind of auto detect feature. it usualy trys to pick up every feature of the part.
    After 3D high speed toolpath has auto-selected, you can edit the geometry selection, i.e., delete auto selection then pick the drive surfaces & containment geometry you need.

Use 3D Highspeed toolpaths for your 3D needs. When you click on the 3Dhighspeed icon, the toolpath will be created and the entire model will be selected by default.

As emonje pointed out, you can edit the selected geometry afterwards by clicking on the geometry tab for that operation.

You can also pre-select the geometry you want to cut. Highlight the geometry, and then click on the 3D highspeed toolpath icon.

It sounds like you need to invest some time into learning about WCS/construction planes in Mastercam, they are used differently than in SolidWorks.

We have extensive training available in mastercam and Mastercam for SolidWorks for a very affordable price at eapprentice check it out and get your boss to pay for it.

Mastercam and SolidWorks Training Online

^^^ +1

I used eapprentice to learn mc4sw and just signed back up to learn mastercam x5 (starting class 2 in about an hour)

they do cover 3D design and toolpath in the light switch cover 3d lesson for mc4sw. for $25 a month its more than worth it if you learn ANYTHING IMO.

I used eapprentice to learn mc4sw and just signed back up to learn Mastercam x5 (starting class 2 in about an hour) they do cover 3D design and toolpath in the light switch cover 3d lesson for mc4sw
    Thanks for the plug Priddy and thanks for signing up. Our latest project is a C02 car popular with High School kids. Our video series takes you through modeling this part in SolidWorks and then applying toolpaths in Mastercam for SolidWorks

Mastercam Training Online

whenever i use the 3d tool path auto detect thing it always picks up way too many features of the wheel