586,009 active members*
4,732 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

heating yay or nay

Hello, I'm looking to make a muzzle brake for a shotgun and was wondering if it will need to be heat treated or if I can just machine it and coat it? It may be made out of 4130 steel. I was thinkin stainless, but was talked out of it. Thank you.

machine it and youll be fine.

but how are you going to put it on as shotgun barrels are thin an dont have enough room to be threaded.

Edm it is a better choice or mill it and deburr it well

It will have internal threads, which will thread onto the threads already on the shotgun. Its just going to be like a choke tube. Pardon the inexperience, but what is edm? Thank you.

electrical discharge machining?

Quote Originally Posted by machinecrasher View Post
    It will have internal threads, which will thread onto the threads already on the shotgun. Its just going to be like a choke tube. Pardon the inexperience, but what is edm? Thank you.
    oh you have a screw on poly choke? that big thing that hangs off the end of a shotgun(threads on outside)? or do you have an internal choke to were you screw different chokes into the barrel( inside not outside)

now which ever way you do it ie your muzzle brake, make sure you look at where its going as the chokes have what is called a forcing cone in the choke( basically a taper) if you take out your choke and replace it with this muzzle brake a smooth straight shot you will have NO choke what so ever.

yes electrical discharge machining ( but thats for building one into the barrle not machine a seperate unit)

theres some really good info on the web about choke tubes and muzzle brakes for shotguns.

The muzzle brake is just going to be for looks and for when the zombies attack(flame2). The barrel has external threads and screws on. I wasnt sure if I would need to heat treat it before duracoating it, or if it could handle the muzzle blast and heat untreated. Thank you.

it will handle muzzle blast just fine,