585,665 active members*
3,659 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X3 Power Drawbar

I've recently converted my X3 to CNC with a Promica kit. I'm very happy with the performance in general but tool changing is becoming a real drag. Here in Oz X3's come with a MT3 spindle as standard and AFAIK a power drawbar isn't feasible for MT3. So it looks like I'll need to convert the spindle to R8. It seems I can just replace the spindle and drawbar with the R8 version. I can get these for about $100.00 from littlemachineshop.com.

Has anyone done this conversion and are there any things I need to know before I pull the trigger and order the parts? I might even upgrade the spindle bearings while it's apart as I'd like to re-power the X3 in the future and end up with 5000-6000 spindle rpm.

Of course then I will need some sort of tooling system like Tormach TTS which seems the likely route to go but I'm open to any suggestions from more experienced users. I also would like to add an ATC like Hoss's someday too.

If you use the Tormach Tool System in conjunction with your power drawbar, it appears that you can use a MT3 collet to hold the interchangeable tools. According to the website:

Miscellaneous TTS Tools

you can get the Part Number 30251 - TTS-MT3 Adapter collet which would release the tools when the drawbar was engaged. I haven't used one myself (my SX3 is R8), but I doubt Tormach would sell a collet as the heart of the system that wouldn't easily release the toolholders. $20 (maybe more in Australia) would be cheaper than replacing the spindle; and might be worth giving a shot to see how well it worked.

You can see my drawbar on my SX3 briefly in action on this Youtube video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2w8cYXt5_o]Tormach TTS-Style Toolholders on the SX3 Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

as well as using the SX3 itself to make TTS-style toolholders. I have since upgraded my setup from one that simply presses down on the drawbar (and thus stresses the spindle bearings) to a "squeeze" system that forces the drawbar down while supporting the spindle. A video for that is in the works, but it has taken second place to my attempts to get CNC spindle control for the SX3, which is taking up all of my time at the moment.

Thanks devers6. I did eventually find that MT3 reference on the Tormach site and it does in fact seem possible. As I couldn't find anyone else that had TTS or a power drawbar on MT3 I wrongly assumed it was not feasible.

I will order the adapter and a TTS holder and give it a go and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by devers6 View Post
    Dave, really well made video, it was a pleasure to watch. thanks for taking the time.

I am using a cordless impact driver on its own to change tools. Not quite as nice as an integrated setup but sure is significantly more convenient than using a wrench. No need for spindle lock, so one hand can always be holding the tool so it doesn't fall out and get chipped.

If you use the Tormach Tool System in conjunction with your power drawbar, it appears that you can use a MT3 collet to hold the interchangeable tools. According to the website:

Miscellaneous TTS Tools

you can get the Part Number 30251 - TTS-MT3 Adapter collet which would release the tools when the drawbar was engaged. I haven't used one myself (my SX3 is R8), but I doubt Tormach would sell a collet as the heart of the system that wouldn't easily release the toolholders. $20 (maybe more in Australia) would be cheaper than replacing the spindle; and might be worth giving a shot to see how well it worked.

Tormach TTS-Style Toolholders on the SX3 Part 1 - YouTube

as well as using the SX3 itself to make TTS-style toolholders. I have since upgraded my setup from one that simply presses down on the drawbar (and thus stresses the spindle bearings) to a "squeeze" system that forces the drawbar down while supporting the spindle. A video for that is in the works, but it has taken second place to my attempts to get CNC spindle control for the SX3, which is taking up all of my time at the moment.
    Seeing your video a while back attracted me to the TTS system. Thanks for that (I already commented on YouTube). So, I'll be receiving my SX-3 with R8 tomorrow. What do I need to convert to TTS? Then, what is a good power drawbar setup? Can you post another video?

Miscellaneous TTS Tools

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2w8cYXt5_o]Tormach TTS-Style Toolholders on the SX3 Part 1 - YouTube

Hey devers6, big fan of your YouTube videos, especially the TTS tool holders 2-part video. Can you tell me how much downward force the SX3 requires on the bellevilles? I am wondering whether a 4" bore cylinder (so 1257lbs @ 100psi) is sufficient. Do you use the stock SX3 drawbar, or did you need to modify the stock one, or acquire a new one?

Also, I am trying to see how others have attached the bellevilles. Do you have any links to detailed pics for the SX3 mounting? I am planning to employ a direct acting versus the Z-bot levered design.

Thank you!