585,591 active members*
2,489 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PCNC 1100 Base/Stand Questions

I wonder if anyone with a few minutes to spare could help with material & size queries on the PCNC1100 base stand please?
    I'm looking at designing a base for the machine, and want to keep it fairly similar to the OEM item, as this seems to generally be accepted as reasonably satisfactory for what it does..

1st Q - difficult to tell from pictures, but is this built around a box section frame, then 'skinned up' with panels on the outside? Would box section size be around 1" x 1" x 1/8"?

2nd Q - Top cover plate with mounting pads. What thickness is this plate please, and how many x-braces run underneath this to support the machine?

3rd Q - apart from adding slope for coolant drain, what other mods do you think would be worthwhile adding into a stand build? More bracing/more access panels/different support/structural changes?

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Peter

I talked to a local Tormach owner a while ago. He had built his own stand, he's a professional welder. He said that if he had to do it again he would buy the Tormach stand because his ended up costing more and it wasn't as good.

Len <><

Quote Originally Posted by LENS_CAD View Post
    I talked to a local Tormach owner a while ago. He had built his own stand, he's a professional welder. He said that if he had to do it again he would buy the Tormach stand because his ended up costing more and it wasn't as good.

Len <><
    Thanks Len.
    Perhaps the guys was a great welder but a crap stand designer?

However as I said " I want to keep it fairly similar to the OEM item, as this seems to generally be accepted as reasonably satisfactory for what it does."

The reason I ask is because shipping a stand to the UK, plus VAT & import duty amounting to another 23% of the combined item & shipping cost ($1644 + $500) produces a cost figure in excess of $2500, which I'm sure you will agree would buy an awful lot of stand at even half the price.

I think this link will take you to the Tormach DIY plans on their site:

Deluxe CNC Mill Stand | Tormach LLC | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items

I built one for my 1100 and am happy with the results. The structure is dimensional lumber skinned with plywood but instead of using 2" x 4"'s etc. I laminated 2 (sometimes 3) pieces of 3/4" plywood together and made my own "lumber". I didn't want to deal with the twists and bends common with dimensional lumber and the laminated plywood stock worked out great. I also extended the left side of the stand so it looked more like the factory unit.

Definately slope the bottom as much as you can towards the drain. I think ScottM had a good write up on how he accomplished this with his unit.

John

Thanks John.
    The problem is that my woodworking skills are on a par with my nail painting and eyelash-tinting prowess, and my tools in that area amount to a rusty 30yr old saw with missing teeth and a bag of roofing-felt nails.

But I do have a very good and reasonably priced fabrication business within 1 mile of me though.

Peter

stand dimensions

check out the stand built but ihcnc for their mill. It is at least as heavy as the tormach. They provide a good description of the materials used and a nice photo that illustrates their design.

I built mine with 2x2 tube, 3/32 wall. I put the "skin" (14 guage sheet) on with nuts & bolts, so that I can loosen them, making the stand rather flexible, adjust the feet for alignment, and then tighten the skin back on, restoring rigidity.

Yes, the flexibility makes a big difference when working on alignment, and yes, the rigidity makes a big difference when machining.

Thanks for all the responses so far, any help with this is appreciated i assure you.

So...no actual OEM stand owners want to chip in with their info? I really would like an insight into the construction of the OEM Tormach stand if at all possible.
    Thanks

Peter

Peter,

I can't help directly as I do not have the OEM stand. I didn't buy the OEM stand as part of my package because:

1) Similar to you it would cost an arm and a leg to import into the UK

2) It seemed expensive for what it was

3) It wouldn't quite fit into the space I had available

4) The coolant system was 110V

I designed my own stand, 50x50x2 box section and 6mm plate, all welded construction. See MEW issue 171 for details. If you don't have access to same, PM me for details.

Regards,

Andrew

Peter, the deluxe stand is, as far as I can tell, entirely made of tack-welded mild steel sheet (2mm, where I'm able to put a calipers on). There are tack-welded longitudinal stringers under the machine mounting pads, but no steel tubing that I can see. There are continuous welds on the top face for "liquid tightness", which on my stand has never entirely been the case. I must point out that my machine is an early 3-digit Series I, without the skimmed-after-welding mounting stand pads, so the construction may have changed in the last few years.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1020131a.jpg  

Randy, thank you very much indeed, this is exactly the sort of information I was looking for.
    And Wow! - just cardboard-box construction with a couple of stringers for support - that does surprise me, as I would naturally have plumped for a frame, but it does however seem to work and support the weight just fine.
    Much appreciated.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by oly2brf5 View Post

I designed my own stand, 50x50x2 box section and 6mm plate, all welded construction. See MEW issue 171 for details. If you don't have access to same, PM me for details.

Regards,

Andrew
    Andreww, thanks.
    Will drop you a PM later when I get some time free from work, think we might have an interesting chat or two, as I'm just over the border from you in Suffolk.

Peter

Re: PCNC 1100 Base/Stand Questions

TLDR: look at the bottom here for image of Tormach support doc that you can get from their website with a little digging or read below

OK, 14 years later, posting for those who wind up here as I did, looking for the base bolt dimensions. Tormach has all the docs on line but it takes a deep dive to get to the real dims for the base
    In the "Machine Dimensions Space Planning Only" doc they give the bottom of the machine casting as 31.5". This is their PDF doc D40148. This doc does not give the bolt hole spacing,

Tormach has in the support for mill docs a solid model, which can be opened if you have the software. You can get a "startup" version of Autodesk Fusion 360 for free and open the model. Spoiler for newbies: you are entering very deep rabbit hole here... you were warned! When and if you come out the other end, you will be the master of a tiny universe all your own, but expect many hours of hard work.

In comparing the solid model to the D40148 PDF dimensions, I found a discrepancy in the overall base length, but they do warn "for space planning only"

A much shorter pathway to a DIY base: search "DIY Plywood Stand Drawing for PCNC 1100". This zip file has all the PDFs and DXF's for a DIY wood base, and as a gem/easter egg there: "D32895_PCNC_1100_S3_bolt_patter.pdf" ("yes, _patter")

Here is a link to the diy base plans:
    https://www.tormach.com/support/wpdm...tand-drawings/

Image attached here. Or at least i tried...
    Attachment 412520

Hi - You may have seen my series of videos on this subject - this is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCK6...GifcsJqs0eOpql

Sneak peak of something I'm working on...

WW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 12.58.56 PM.jpg