585,974 active members*
4,257 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > 600 by 400 Ally profile 3 axis machine
Page 2 of 3 123
    Hi Rod,

Are there unversal size tables you can make so that it is compatable with most of the available ballscrews and linear slides? Eg 6x4 I am hoping to build it around a size that will have all compatible length slides ect available and not to have these custom made.
    You had advised me on my X2 cnc mill a while ago which is going strong and appreciate all the advice you gave me during build.
    I am going to have a custom 65x65RHS table made to support my cnc machine so i am going to have to work out dimensions.
    is the aluminium from cupcake cut very accurate? I need to know what dimensions and series 40 size extrusion will suit a build of 6 x 4
    Are you able to send pics of your large table?

Kind Regards
    Steve

I get the rails and ballscrews and make the machine to those sizes. Remember you loose around 200mm travel in the rails on X axis and 150 in the Y axis rails. This is the connections between the axes.

I haven't kept any photos of my previous builds but they will be on this forum. There are good examples of table design in other threads and I would expect 6 legs with adjusting feet for a machine of that size. A welded steel table will result in some distortion of the steel so allow for shimming between the table and your T slot or some other means to get it flat.

It might be better for you to start a build thread on here as you should get plenty of good advice from the forum.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

I have roughly drawn a sketch of table that will both have caster wheels to help move it and also adjustable feet which i can raise to lift and adjust main table leaving the caster wheels not touching the ground.
    I will be seeing a local engineering company who made my balustrades to weld up the frame for me as i have no experience or required welding equipment. How did you go shimming your table?
    Just know to work out which brand of ball screws and linear rails needed.
    I have seen a lot of people use THK.

Kind Regards
    Steve

johnbill1236
    A fellow in far north Queensland is building a cantilever machine and I am having a bit of fun with him.
    By the way I can't see any of your pictures.

Steve,
    I use THK or IKO square rails on the machines I keep. They are very expensive compared to round supported rails. If I make a machine for somebody then it is their choice and always cost makes them choose the round supported rails. There are many varieties of the square rail so do your homework and find out the application of each rail - THK site have application data. Also make sure there are seals on the trucks if you intend to cut MDF.

I forgot to answer your question - the T slot is cut very accurate by Cupcake.

I use slotted angle cleats - fixed to the table and the slot allows for height adjustment. Find highest point and work all the other points to that. Once it is all settled I use a dowel through the cleat to keep it in position. I use a machinists level to work around the machine. An easier method is to just use shims under the t slot.

Can you start a build thread please as this is a much smaller machine and not the method I will be using here so it might be confusing to anyone following this build.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

It was 39 degrees so not comfortable working today and tomorrow will be the same.

Got a bit done on the back of the machine including a couple of fans for air flow around the computer and two plugs for mains in. The VFD will have a separate supply to the computer and electronics.

I fitted two access doors that are sealed with foam tape and instead of barrel bolts I have screws holding the doors shut so that little fingers can't get in there easily.

The power suppliers are mounted on an elevated aluminum plate so that there is some air flow around them. There is a 48 volt, 12 volt and 5 volt power supply and the 5 volt is elevated on legs again for cooling.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP_1165.JPG   DCP_1166.JPG   DCP_1167.JPG  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

The last panel is done and the frame tapped but before it gets fixed it will be easier to do the electrics while there is full access.

Here is the power supplies rigged up and I have terminal blocks at the rear of the plate for the three DC voltages.

I try hard to keep it all neat and professional but I struggle with a vision of the finished job so for me it ends up like a plate of spaghetti.

The guys that do their electrics so neat have a real talent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP_1169.JPG  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Rodm1954 View Post
    ...I try hard to keep it all neat and professional but I struggle with a vision of the finished job so for me it ends up like a plate of spaghetti.
    That looks pretty clean to me. If you're not happy with your wiring, you don't want to see mine!

With only a little extra effort I can make mine look worse too.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

What power spindle are you going to use on this set up? Will it be water or air cooled? Your build is coming along great!

I will run a 1.5kw Chinese air cooled spindle. A bit limited by ER11 chuck size but about right size for the cutting envelope of the machine.

Electronics will be gecko 251's, smoothstepper, C10 BOB and Pokeys 55T for the console. I built a new Mini ITX computer and have a touchscreen for that. Tossing up between a trackball and touchpad.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Build slowed due to doing all the electrics while it was easier to access with the cover off.
    First photo shows the VFD, Air Pump and power supplies all rigged up and last photo is the side fitted.
    On with the console now then back to the machine build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP_1170.JPG   DCP_1171.JPG  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Re: 600 by 400 Ally profile 3 axis machine

Hi Rod,

This build is looking very tidy!

How is it coming along? Im eager to see some more photos of the finished product and maybe a video if you get the chance!?

Did you use lead screws or rack and pinions for travel?

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,
    Having retired recently and having more time on my hands I revived this machine build and completed it a couple of weeks ago. I do have a video but it will not upload and my youtube account is dead so photos will have to do.
    I have added a 4th axis to the machine so the electronics enclosure got busy as apart from the extra driver it meant I also had to fit another BOB to get enough output pins.
    It was 2 1/2 year build but a lot of that time was waiting for an opportunity to work on it.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

That is a great looking machine!

How about some video of it in action?

That's a rather neat looking monster of a machine

Thanks,
    I am pleased with the machine and it should serve me well for quite a while.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Hi Rod,
    You have nice machine and nice shop. How many machine you have, how big your shop, and what do you do.

Aristo.

Hi Aristo,
    My main workshop is 4.5m by 8.5m and I have a clean room 6m by 3m as well as a couple of small garden sheds to store inflammable and other materials. All are full so for assembly I use the patio.
    I was a hobby woodworker that turned to metal around 12 years ago. I have a large mill and lathe as well as all the usual woodworking machines. I have a CNC mill, and two CNC routers counting this latest one. I am now retired but had a desk job for 42 years prior to that. Working with the hands restored a balance to the humdrum of pushing paper around.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Beautiful work Rod,

Cheers,
    Jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

WOW! Really nice work! Congratulations on your retirement too!

Do you have any photos of how you incorporated the 4th axis in to the machine?

Also have you used 2 stepper motors/lead screws for the Z-axis? Ie the 600mm travel?

2 1/2 years well spent!

Cheers

Steve

Page 2 of 3 123