585,737 active members*
4,562 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Spectralight help

Any way to retrofit this old Apple IIE Paxton Patterson-spectralight clone to a PC?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe.jpg  

Yes, buy or build a controller for it. I used a Hobby Cnc Pro kit for my first build, as a matter of fact it was with the same lathe as your but I also got a matching mill at the time. I ended replacing all of the steppers due to ignorance. You could buy a Gecko G540 and power supply (or a completely wired controller using the G540 thru Keling, Soigenris, Deepgroove or others) a copy of Mach 3 for the controlling software (or EMC2 if you have Linux knowledge). Do you have any Cnc, CAD or CAM experience? Electronics? All of this is very doable for quite cheap if you are patient and read enough. Now tooling is an expensive part of the equation that usually shocks the starting machinist. What do you plan to use the Sherline for? There are plenty who get fine results with those lathes. It is a great learning tool if nothing else. Btw all of the parts can be obtained thru Sherline. It is all retrofittable with little if any changes. Ask for Fred at Sherline, he will walk you thru the mechanical end.

Any links you can point me to for reading how to do this?

Thanks!

Lets start with a few more questions. Are you interested in a project or the ability to machine something very soon? What materials are you planning to machine, plastics, wax, aluminum, wood, steel? What kind of budget do you have?
    1. If you are planning to cut metals and are interested in any real abilities, get a bigger lathe. Amazingly building a Sherline to be Cnc or converting one is not really less expensive because it is smaller. However if you are working on small items even in metals, the Sherlines are great machines. It really comes down to knowing the machines limitations and live with them.
    2. A conversion could happen in a long afternoon or months depending on involvement and understanding, mentors in your area or friends with experience.
    IIRC the steppers were some old round body 8 wire Vextas. I am sure a G540, 48vdc power supply and a PC with Mach or EMC could run them just fine. You wont get amazing speed but you will get very decent positional accuracy if set up correctly. Personally I am still mesmerized that I can draw a part and see a machine make that part in my garage today.

As far as links. I will post a few, unfortunately I dont save them as I should. Many I will list might not use the G540 as it might not have been available at the time. That being said in my experience and observations it is the best all in one unit. It is very reasonably priced, small, well designed and serviceable if necessary. It will have all of the features to keep you intrigued for a few years. Study them for concept mostly. I am not knocking other products as they all work very well once assembled and configured correctly but there will be many lessons in electronics, software, settings, tooling just to get running. The G540 will minimize most of that.
    CNC Sherline Lathe Project
    Tom Wade -- Machinist Section -- CNC Conversion
    Geckodrive support group: http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou...guid=145879849
    The Sherline users group: http://.groups.yahoo.com/group/sherline/
    Here is a list of resources for all types of information from one of the many helpful people in the CNC world, Bob Warfield. CNC Cookbook: Resources
    If you are anything like me, visual aids help. Here is a good video explaining some of the things you will need. Again just get a feel for the parts and their relationships first.
    Cnc Rebuild Video #63 - YouTube
    Then of course there is the lord of all Sherlines, a man respected by most of us frustrated by the Sherline named Luiz Ally aka "Tryally" on YouTube, though not active lately he is a true inspiration. Subscribe to his site.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEcHXuXQr4Y&feature=results_main&playnext= 1&list=PLCB1FC6EE6601ED5D"]Tryally making threads with Sherline lathe - YouTube[/ame]
    Then there is this other anonymous guy showing you what not do with a Sherline (or any other machine tool for that matter)!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8l13APsS0A&feature=related"]Hoggin on the Sherline Lathe - YouTube[/ame]
    ME!
    Also be sure to join the Mach 3 Support forum and the Sherline users group on Yahoo. You will also find that your questions might only get answered in specific areas. The "benchtop" section sees much more traffic than say the "mini lathe" section, the concepts are the same and many have both. You will want a bigger machine in no time most likely but not always. Hope it helps. If you pm me your phone # I would be glad to walk you thru what little I know.

Will this work?
    G540 4-Axis Motor Control

That is exactly what I was suggesting. It will be a great solution once correctly set up. It is very protective of your pc in case there are electrical problems and is serviceable should it need fixing. Of course there are other parts necessary like a power supply (get the 48 volt, it is the maximum voltage allowable to the G540). Voltage equates to speed. You will obtain the maximum rpm's that way. It will work with any power supply down to 24vdc but the higher the better in the long run. Keling offers a nice case for that controller with a E stop and power switch, you would have to add a power supply or he has it fully assembled. You will have to find the specs for the steppers to get the correct current set resistors or the G540EZ DB9 plugs. If you can find any markings on your steppers, you will need to find or ask for the spec sheet. There are plenty of resources on the net that will help once we know the brand and model of stepper. Confirm all of the steppers model numbers. Though similar or identical in physical size they could have a different requirement.

One of the best conversions I've seen for these lathes is a 3-axis (also available in 4-axis) USB Mach3 interface.

Two of the axis are used to control the lathe, the third can be used to control a small tool turret which is nothing more than a rotary axis with tools on it.

It has a PWM output to control the spindle speed and additional outputs for other functions like a mist-er, vacuum, solenoid converted tailstock.

It is significantly easier to wire up than most parallel port BOB's, has 2 limit switches per axis, and additional outputs for other options and additional inputs for home positioning etc...

While more expensive than the average parallel BOB this USB BOB is well worth the money based on the features, functionality and ease of use and allows you to use most of your existing hardware/electronics.

ebay is a good source for the interface (not the JAF type interface) eBay Search Results

Quote Originally Posted by dwalsh62 View Post
    One of the best conversions I've seen for these lathes is a 3-axis (also available in 4-axis) USB Mach3 interface.

Two of the axis are used to control the lathe, the third can be used to control a small tool turret which is nothing more than a rotary axis with tools on it.
    Where did you see this lathe? I have been interested in putting some sort of turret together for my sherline lathe. I am curious to know if anyone has made one out of the sherline rotary add-on. Or if there is anyone who sells them commercially that would fit on a sherline.