584,858 active members*
4,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Simple bar feeder interface

I'm trying to interface a simple hydrodynamic bar feeder (SMW Omnibar) to a Haas MiniLathe. All I need are an end of bar signal to be given to the lathe and an e-stop to come from the bar feeder. The e-stop is no problem. I'm having trouble with the end of bar, though. The book says to use discrete input A161 on the IOPCB. It says that this is located in connector P52, but I don't have a connector P52 on my IOPCB. It's labeled on the board, but there's nothing soldered at that spot. I'm thinking that the book is wrong about the location of this discrete input because it was wrong about the location of the e-stop circuit. It said it was at P40, but I actually found it located at P6. Does anyone know the correct location on the IOPCB of this discrete input? Or any other spare discrete inputs that I could use? The book also says to see the "Technical Reference" section for a description of the 1-bit discrete inputs, but I can't find that section. I'm beginning to dislike this Haas book... It's actually an SL series book, but it's what came with the machine. And I tried calling Haas yesterday but gave up after sitting on hold for 45 minutes. I'm really hoping someone out there has the info I need. Thanks!

Slow down, I think you are getting in much deeper than you need to.

You only need to use the M121/M-Fin output to controller a simple bar feeder. Look that up in your manual.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks for the response. I looked up the M121 and figured out how to use that. In doing so, though, I found the input I was looking for. It's in plug P21 which is labeled spare3. So now I just need to find the plug connectors that are used on the IOPCB so that I can wire this all up properly, and I'll be set!

I'm also having trouble with a Haas Bar feeder.. Just started to day and im not a programer.. I have the manuals and doing the best I can.. Is there any one that can generate or have code written already that I could look at? Its a series 300 I believe bar feeder.. and a Haas CNC lathe.. I just need the first few lines of code before the first tool.. Like I said I'm not a programmer and would appreciate any help..

Thanks..
    John.. GTO AirBoats Ocala FL.

There is only one line of code. G105. That one code executes a bar feed using the variable you enter in the bar feed section of current commands. Here are step by step instructions on how to set up the servo bar 300:

Turn the lathe on.

Hit "power up restart".

Hit "curnt cmnds" (current commands).

Hit "page up" until you see the bar feeder screen.

Enter the data requested on the screen, i.e. :

initial push length - this will be the first push on a fresh bar. This value is also how much material you need sticking out of the chuck to do the job, part length + facing allowance + width of parting tool + clearance between the parting tool and chuck.

Part length plus cut off: This is what will pushed everytime after the initial push. It is everything added up above minus the clearance amount.

Min clamping length - This is the min amount of material you want in the chuck jaws at the end of a bar. The book says, and I agree, you should never have material only halfway in the jaws. So, if your jaws are 2" long set the value at 2".

The rest of the values are self explanatory until you get max bar length and min retract position.

Max bar length - the longest bar you plan on feeding

Min retract position - where the push rod retracts to after a push. I hope that is set up correctly already.

Install the correct spindle liner i.e. 1", 2".

Place the corresponding bar, with a good chamfer on one end, on the feeder table, with the chamfer towards the lathe, and jog the table up with the hand wheel on the left side of the machine until a bar passes easily from the table into the spindle liner.

Remove the bar from the feeder table and please it on the tray on the back of the feeder and make sure it gently rolls to the table.

Press "mdi"

Enter "G105 q4;"

Press "cycle start"

The feeder should sweep the table, load a bar, measure it, push it into the spindle, load the push rod, and send the front of the bar to within a couple inches of the chuck jaws.

Press "reset"

Press ".01" in the handle jog section of the keypad.

Turn the jog wheel to the right until the bar is flush with the face of the chuck.

Clamp the chuck.

Press "mdi".

Scroll over to the "q4" you entered.

Enter "q2" then press "alter" (its on the top right of the key pad").

Press "cycle start".

The bar should now be at the initial push length you set earlier.

Now jog a tool over to the face of the bar and set your z face.

Write a program.

At the end of the program simply add a "g105;"

Change the last line of the program from an M30 to an M99 (thank you CNC zone) and the program will loop over and over until it reaches one of the "max" variable you entered in the bar feed section of currant commands.

Thank you for your help.. I was able to get it up and running and feeding bar properly.. Thanks again..
    John