585,667 active members*
4,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Anybody make their own indexable tool

Anybody make their own indexable tool

Is anybody make their own special indexable end mill or boring or lathe tool when you need one.

Where to do find the data for a particular insert.

If yes, would you mind sharing a picture, would be fun to see.

Thanks a lot.

Jeff

Jeff,

Hoss2006 makes some of his own tooling and holders on occasion.
    He has several build threads so it may take some time to search through them.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Jeff,
    short answer, YES! I have used both 1/2" and 5/8" key stock to make the tool holders. I started out many years ago using TNMG321 inserts. I found a web site that detailed how to do it. (http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/to...oolholder.html) Basically, you set the stock at a 5° angle to when the tool is in the holder, the insert has some relief. I set my rotary table up to give the necessary angle and then milled out a recess for the insert. The stock was presented either straight on or rotated 30° either left or right depending on the hand of tool that I wanted. Then the insert was laid on top and the hole was marked pretty much towards the back of the hole to allow the 6-32 screw to push the back of the insert into the recess. As I say, these holders were made maybe 10-12 years ago and I can't find any pictures.
    Recently, a friend came up with a bunch of CPMH inserts. I went on the web to find out the dimensions and because these have a built in relief, it was a simple matter to simply mill out a pocket. In this case, I used 4-40 socket head screws to hold the insert in. The first trial of the holder was to try and work with some 5/8" ball screw stock that I had left over from my mill cnc project. Worked very well. Not real pretty, but this was a trial and it works well so I haven't messed any further. This one was made on 1/2" key stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails side.jpg   top1.jpg   top2.jpg  
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Look for those insert catalogs, they often explain the nomenclature of the inserts and their geometry and differences. Most common inserts have ISO and ANSI standards for them.

Im looking into making my own fly cutter too, beats sharpening yourself, just throw away the old insert is much easier.

I'd assume soft stuff like aluminum is often a no go for the tool holder itself, although I might try make one out of aluminum anyway to see if I can get away with it since its easier to machine. Maybe I can design it stiff enough for the application.

if you make your own indexible tool holders for a cnc MAKE SURE you use the proper screw, they are tapered and need to be, also the hole needs to be exact from the side faces to when you lock down the insert it repeats every time. multiple inserted tools are very critical so all inserts touch the part at the same level.

Made alot of tools like bubba has for the hand lathe but you wont get repeatablity after you change your insert using that type of screw.
    Delw

My initial tools used "flat head" allen screws. However, because of the small size of the allen wrench, it became difficult to tighen them properly due to a buildup of swarf in the heads. I realize the taper is not exact, but I have found the regular socket head screws work very well for use on my manual lathe.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I just cut lathe tool ends into the configuration I need and fit them onto CAT (or other) tool holders. Sometimes I use the CAT blanks or milling arbors to make heavy duty boring bars etc.

Dick Z
    DZASTR