584,861 active members*
5,035 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Would you buy another FADAL????
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    Don't want to really get into it but it scraps parts regularly because something is causing the X axis to spontaneously jump a 1/2" or so before it "corrects" (jumps back to where it should be), then e-stops.
    It happens when we are cutting Delrin (we do a lot of it) and I suspect it is a static electricity thing but we can't solve it. Come to think of it, both of the new machines have done it and I think it's because the servo cables aren't shielded. Anyway, forget the repairs, we are spending thousands a year on scrap parts.
    Does it throw an eStop code ?

This sounds strongly like the controller is losing the resolver/encoder signal. Put an oscilloscope on the encoder signal pins where it plugs into the motor controller board and watch signal quality. The pulses should be square and full voltage. Anything less and you've got a bad connection somewhere.

It is very easy to protect cables from EMF. Wrap them in tinfoil and ground one end of the tin foil to the chassis ground on the control board end of things. Do not connect the tin foil at both ends as that will create a ground loop. You can also wrap the outside of the cable in question with a bare wire and again connect it only at the control board end.

Hope this helps.

A good point. As an oem they are excellent for us. We have a 95 4020 boxed ways 4 axis, a 94 vmc15-914, and a 2002 3016L 4 axis. They were cheap to buy used, cheap to maintain, and cheap to operate and make product fast enough for our needs. We also recently acquired twin pallet robodrills which we’ve yet to implement while we learn all the idiosyncrasies of those. Far as Fadal goes you can’t find an easier control to use. Maybe Centroid and perhaps one day we will upgrade the controls if we want that additional speed. The 3016L is pretty fast compared to other two but we rarely machine anything at high speeds so I imagine we have room yet to turn these up before we’d need to consider a retrofit. We paid Pennies on the dollar for all 6 machines so any money we were to use to maintain them is still in the positive. They may not have the finish of a $250k machine though tolerances in the tenth’s who could complain.

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    Definately yes would buy one but if I needed current day and age speed I wouldnt buy one there are much better choices. Fadal machines are great for OEMs and those that dont need to rip out parts faster than the competition.

Page 2 of 2 12