585,708 active members*
3,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Speeds and feeds

I have several different parts to machine out of aluminum (6061 and MIC 6) in thicknesses from 3/8" to 1". These parts are very odd shaped and require accurate hole locations. I have a cnc router that is accurate enough to do the layout of the holes (at least mark them) and I am thinking that I will route the perimeter of the parts as well. The router is a PC laminate trimmer so I am very concerned with the high RPMs and the fact that I can only run about 30 IPM reliably. What I would like to do is to Use the router with a 1/4" E.M in it to route the perimeter and then use a V-Groove bit to mark hole locations, by just marking a point that I will later use to drill the parts on my mill / drill.

Question is what speeds, feeds, D.O.C. can I get away with knowing what I am using for equipmet. Also what type end mill? Probalby use a spray bottle for a little coolant. Concerned about having the chips weld themselves to the cutter with the high RPms and low feeds.

Thanks all.

Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

Dan,

how high are the RPM's. Generally, a good starting point is 1200 SFM. You shoud use a 2 flute high shear Endmill. If the RPM's are too high, youll just rub and not cut. I would start at 1/3 dia of endmill for DOC. Just take Your time, and you should be fine. Also, Magafor makes a good spotting/V-groove tool for your starter holes.

Marc

RPM's

The RPM's of a PC laminate trimmer run around 25,000 RPM or so. Perhaps slightly higher.

Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!