585,758 active members*
4,369 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Free plans Router table Thanks, But help

Free plans Router table Thanks, But help

Hey thanks for the plans on the router table. That $30 still in my pocket.
    My oldest wants to build a robot and I am compromising with him on some thing we can do that will be more useful for me as well as him. He is making this a Fifth grade school project for the fair at the end of school.
    My next step is to read and find out what else I am diving into doing this.
    What else is needed in this besides the stepper motors and a board for controlling the motors with?
    We have a lone computer that will work for this.

Welcome aircub
    In terms of electronics you will need 6 limit/home switches, should be only a few dollars and wire to hookup the home switches.
    With the Hobbycnc controller kit you can get the full kit which will include wire to hook the stepper motors to the board as well as all the the minor items which you would otherwise have to hunt around for.
    The JGRO plans have a parts list at the end, which lists materials and possible sources for those materials. For the rails (X,Y,Z) do not use galvanised pipe, go for black pipe or drill rod.
    In terms of tools you will need the taps for the screws as well as basic stuff such as screwdrives and such items. You will need a small drill press or hand drill attachment to drill straight holes through the MDF, you cannot hold a hand drill straight on your own, believe me.
    Read the various threads related to JGRO project builds, you will find lots of them. An old thread was a project by CNCDARREN which was a good one.
    Congrats on starting a project with your son.
    Be warned this is one addictive hobby.

Jason

You don't really need home and limit switches. The machine will work without them. You will need software to run the machine. The two most common are Mach3 (Win XP or 2K) www.artofcnc.ca and TurboCNC (DOS) www.dakeng.com
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Jason and Gerry.
    I am trying to do this a cheep as possable to prove a point that it can be done. But!!! The more I look at these I am starting to push this to a higher goal. Yes I have a drill press, band saw and table saw.
    My forgotten part is electrical. I have forgotten so much in the last ten years this is going to be a struggle. But if it is as easy as a computer build I can do that.
    I am going to post a build on here for my sons school. Or he will.
    Again, Thanks.
    Hey keep the posts coming. I am on here reading past posts on build ups and problems.

I have to add, there are alot of the web shots I have seen before on other foundry web pages. I did not think about a cnc at all during the time that I have been poring aluminum the last four years. Just kind of wizzed past it.

If you go with A Xylotex drive, www.xylotex.com it's as simple as plugging in a printer. Plug a parallel port cable in, wire the motors, and a power supply, and your ready to go. The HobbyCNC is similar, but you'll have to solder it together yourself. www.hobbycnc.com
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by aircub
    Thanks Jason and Gerry.
    1) I am trying to do this a cheep as possible to prove a point that it can be done.
    -----
    2) My forgotten part is electrical. I have forgotten so much in the last ten years this is going to be a struggle. But if it is as easy as a computer build I can do that.---
    3) I am going to post a build on here for my sons school. Or he will.
    1) Yes, it can be done VERY cheap in deed. My first router was set up with ball-sliding system for drawers. (less than 10usd for 3 pairs) 3 motors from 5 1/4" drives, two ULNxxxx transistor arrays with built in protective diodes, 1metre of M4 rod that I divided into 3 parts to get the screws and the router it selves was the cheapest I grinding device I could find (@ 20usd). Framework and parts was made of 12mm plywood and the nuts I made from brass sheet metal. No special bearings. The bearings in the motors had to take it all and they did for the fifty hours or so that I run it. It still exist somewhere as I gave it away and it is probably still carving signs in wood and plastic somewhere. Software was turbocnc from dakeng.com. The only thing that took me a while was to get the connection between motors and the screws in line. I can give you a few advices there, but you will probably need a lathe. Perhaps it can be done in a drill press with some luck.
    It was a super budget one just to prove it could be done under 50usd, and yes, I almost forgot. The machine needed 12V and I took it from the computer :-)
    2) It all depends on how far you will go... How big will you build it and how much do you want to spend?
    3) Please do! I wish I had some picture from my first project.
    /jan
    (Sorry about all miss typing and all that. I use to speak Swedish...)

Used to or still can speak Swedish. No problem. I think we are going to buy a Hobbycnc system and build it. But the more I read the more is coming back to me.
    I am looking for a book on building a mill to help fill in the small stuff that I am missing. Which stepper motors are best. Which programs to use and the easyest to work with the operater and the controler. CNC Robotics is one book that pops up. My son is eleven and does not understand what he is getting into. But before we go any farther I thought that I had better ask questions with some people that have done this. I am going to be the teacher on this.
    The first mill is going to be built to the plans. I have a plan to use it to cut foam an cast the next one.