585,665 active members*
2,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alibre for the begginer

Hello to all,

I am cnc Programmer/operator, have been for several years. But totally new to Cad/Cam. All my previous experience has been with paper, pencil and calculator. I have read some of the post in this forum and seems Alibre is fairly good choice for the newbie. But I am concerned with the announcement they have been acquired by another company. Does anyone have a comment on Alibre for the newbie, or if the new acquisition has affected the company negatively?

Thanks,
    Dale

There has been some talk about the acquisition on the Alibre support forum and you should browse the threads there or ask questions. The forum provides mostly user-to-user support so you will get other user's opinions on whether or not it was a good thing. Long time users there can be vocal.

Personally, I think that it is too early to tell. The next version of Alibre, due in about a year, will be telling.

Mike

I think that for 3D solid modeling, Alibre is a great for the price. I am using Design Pro. Alibre will do about 80% of Solidworks at 10% of the cost. There are some quirks but I've encountered annoying things in SW too.

As for the direction of the company, only time will tell. They are certainly not going out of business since being acquired by 3D Systems.

Sorry a little late getting back to the forum.
    I agree Alibre does seem to offer a lot for the price. I am considering the Pro version. I was about 90% sure of buying Alibre when I learned of the company being sold. Being new to 3D cad, I didn't want to jump into a product that was undergoing a big change. Like you have said only time will tell. That being said Alibre looks like a good product with decent training and support. Lots of knowledgeable users too. Thanks for the response

I believe that the acquisition of Alibre by a larger company at least increases the likelihood that they'll be around for a while.

You won't find a more capable product even at several times the price.

Joe

Thanks Scudzuki, I am finding this out the more I learn about Alibre.

Smile

A customer of mine uses solid works, and I have sat in on numerous Your the machinist, how do you want to build this part?sessions. I purchased Expert with maintence and on the few times that I was stumped I called the alibre support team. They did a GO TO MEETING and accessed my computer, in a matter of minutes with me on the phone telling them what I wanted to do they showed me how to. once you learn how alibre works, your will be able to create anything that you can imagine. I am extremly pleased with alibre and the support is very helpful, they explain it without making you feel stupid.It is my understanding that the 3D printer company that purchased alibre needed a cad cam system to use in their CNC controls and chose alibre as the best choice for the price. this tells me they will only get better.

Good Luck
    The Farmer