585,670 active members*
4,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Anyone using Dyna Myte 2400 with Dolphin Mill ?

Anyone using Dyna Myte 2400 with Dolphin Mill ?

Please be gentle, as I'm completely new to machining in general, and CAD/CAM in particular, strictly as a hobby.

I recently purchased a Dyna Mechtronics (Dyna Myte) DM2400 mill as my first foray into this world. Luckily it is completely functional - using the original electronics and Dyna's DynaLan conversational language. I've been able to run their canned demo program (the Dyna logo) and get a few basic steps programed in that language. But what a bear!

I've read about a LOT of conversions of DM2400s -- gutting the electronics and running Mach2/3, but I believe that is a little beyond my capabilities at this point.

Due to seeing there is a DM2400 post-processor available, I downloaded the Dolphin demo a few days ago, and find it surprisingly easy to create basic parts in the CAD side and then see the toolpaths in CAM.

My question is: Is anyone here successfully using Dolphin with an unaltered 2400 mill, using the DM2400 post processor? I'd like take the plunge, but would certainly feel better knowing Dolphin works well with this (evidently rather) rare mill before purchasing.

Thanks
    Shindog

I can't speak directly in reference to the 2400 but I will vouch that the post processor engine is very strong and pretty sure they guarantee it. I also see on their post processor page the post you are looking for is supported (Dolphin Partmaster Post Processors).

Thanks for the quick response Harley.

I've been very impressed with what I've been able to learn to do with Dolphin in such a short period -- the videos are terrific in that regard. Most of what I read online is glowing in respect to Dolphin's support, especially in the hobby arena, considering the low price for hobbyist.

I'm just hoping to see if there is someone else using the particular setup I'm considering, as I believe I'll probably have a bunch of questions on: 1)the PC to machine cabling, 2) how to set up my DM2400 to accept instructions 3) drip feed for programs longer than 900 line, etc, will be rather daunting for me. Be nice to ride someone's coat tails :-)

Thanks again,
    Mark

Here is my experience...
    I got a 2400 a few years ago and dicked around with the original controller for a while with drip feeding etc. Mastercam does a Dyna post as well from memory. I was unhappy with the table speeds and controller so I coverted it to Mach 3 and fitted some larger steppers and havent looked back. Using mach I can choose from a heap of CAM softwares using a generic Fanuc post, as well as having an easy built in DRO for quick position / drilling jobs. I can also jog at 2000mm / minute. I started in the same situation as you, not very much CNC experience but the conversion is "fairly" easy. I use sheetcam for most of my profile machining, Gibbscam for 3d work and the built in wizards in Mach 3 for simple pocketing etc. I probably spent $2000 on the conversion, including sheetcam and mach licences and I have made that back 5 times over doing small production runs for people.

Scott

I havent upgraded my sheetcam in a few years but the last I checked, it doesn't hold a candle to Dolphin. Mastercam is a whole different ballpark.

I didnt mean to hijack the dolphin thread, sheetcam is a very basic program. I've been down the route of trying to drip feed the Dyna controller before and wasnt happy with the results. Regardless, Mach 3 recommends Dolphin as a good cam package to run so Shindog has nothing to loose if finds running Dolphin on the Dyna controller **** and decides to convert to Mach or EMC etc.

I agree. I bought Sheetcam years ago for my small DIY router and for the money I couldnt really complain.

Scott,

re: "...so Shindog has nothing to loose if finds running Dolphin on the Dyna controller **** and decides to convert to Mach "

So you're saying that I would have an "upgrade-path" if using Dolphin with Dyna (as is) doesn't go well. I could then attempt the upgrade of the original electronics, and still be able to use Dolphin -- with Mach. Would I then just need to switch post processor (to Mach support)?

It's hard enough convincing XYL that I *need* to purchase Dolphin, but if I know it can still be used if controls are upgraded, it sure would strengthen my arguement.

yep, that's the idea, let us know how it goes.

Scott

Update #1

Bought the Mill package, but had a little bad luck and it took a few days of trying to get it activated -- Thanks to Rodney @ Dophin, for sticking with me and sending a fix. Seems old CopyMinder server was defunct.

Now I'm able to at least generate code that sure *looks* like it's DynaLan.

Next step is to get a serial cable built (and USB-to-serial adapter) to send my first part / program to the DM2400.

In the words of Dr. Leo Marvin, "Baby steps."
    (from "What About Bob?")

--Shindog