585,719 active members*
4,054 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas Mini Mill Chip Auger

Hi all... i bought 3 months ago a used 2006 haas mini mill, how do i know if its possible install a chip auger, do i need setup some parameters..?? a i need some especial hardware..??

I was looking on ebay and found a complete chip auger removed from Haas Super Mini Mill 2006. $300 USD. I bought it, im waiting for it...

Tomorrow add a picture of my IOPCB.

Thanks in advanced

Best Regards.

Felipe
    Yucatan, Mexico

If you have all the hardware all you have to do is to turn on the parameter. This is in parameter #209 bit #3 named ( enable chip conveyor )
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Hi Again Ken Foulks, and thanks again for your help..

Look this is my haas mini mill board. P38 Is without the socket to connect the chip auger.

i received the chip auger, and install it with the bolts and nuts to the Mini Mill. but i dont know or i dont have any place to connect it.

do i need some special hardware or electronic bord..??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00248-20111107-1712.jpg  

It looks like you would have to get a new board in the machine which could be expensive.

You could operate the chip auger using User M codes. Are you familiar with these? There are several threads/posts about them.

Here is one thread.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m..._activate.html
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I would not recommend using a spare m-code relay to run a chip auguer motor which is a 230VAC , pulls about 5A of current, those relays are rated for 1amp max. You are better off buying the new I/o board that will support the chip auguer motor.

Or just use that 1A relay to switch a relay which is designed for the voltage and current of the chip auger. I don't think anyone was suggesting connecting the chip auger directly, rather using it as an output signal to turn the auger on and off through a proper circuit.

Matt

here is another thing you should consider, Using the Mcodes the machine won't be able to detect overcurrent conditions if the auguer binds up, where if you plug it directly to the new I/o board you will be able to use the software features that detect an overcurrent condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Haastec2 View Post
    .....Using the Mcodes the machine won't be able to detect overcurrent conditions if the auguer binds up,...
    This is true but you would simply have an overcurrent protection in the supply running to the auger motor. And you would never run a large inductive load directly through the onboard M code relays you would have them operate a low voltage solenoid relay external to the machine as I have described in several threads/posts about using M codes to run external equipment.

The big question is how much does and IO board with the chip auger controls on it cost. How readily available it it in the OP's location. The components to build something using the M code relays are readily available and the cost would probably be not more than a couple of hundred dollars.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.