584,837 active members*
5,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Parallel Port issue - USB options?

My computer that came with my used CNC pooped out and now I'm trying to find a solution to get back up and running. I'm a total noob and I don't know much about computers either, so be nice. I've taken the old Hard drive out of the old PC and connected it to the new PC to run my CAMBAM & MACH3. I also installed a parallel port on the new PC. So far so good - When I run Mach3 it won't control my CNC. How do you know what the port # is? I've tried changing the # on my Mach3 "ports & pins" settings with no luck. What should I try next? OR is there a simple USB option that will save me the hassle of getting a volt meter and hours of testing and resetting port #'s? At this point, I can either call a computer tech or put that money towards a USB-Parallel thing. Please help!!! Thank you!

Re: Parallel Port issue - USB options?

I've been seeing something called a UC100 - (I think there must be some knock offs too for half the price). Has anybody tried this (or the knock off). I'm leaning this direction just to save myself more headaches. thank you!

If you buy something new buy an Ethernet controller, not USB. You can run both the UC400 and UC300ETH with Mach3 if that's what you prefer, or buy a UCCNC license. UCCNC is more modern than Mach3 and is very well supported. It is also very cheap compared with other alternatives. Never the less, if you want to continue using Mach3 you can just get their controller and use the free plugin for Mach3.

In any case, Ethernet is more reliable than USB, regardless which motion controller you are buying. Whatever you do, you should watch out for the eBay fake controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by originalsigns View Post
    I've been seeing something called a UC100 - (I think there must be some knock offs too for half the price). Has anybody tried this (or the knock off). I'm leaning this direction just to save myself more headaches. thank you!
    If you want to save yourself some headaches then you don't buy those fake products.

UC100 Knockoffs are not copies of the UC100, and won't work with Mach3.

You can get the port # in Device Manager.
    But if you're using a 64 bit OS, the parallel port will not work. It'll only work with a 32bit version of Windows 7 or earlier.

If you want something cheaper than a UC100, there are a variety of chinese motion controllers on Ebay. With most of them, you'll find various Mach3 functions that are not supported.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    UC100 Knockoffs are not copies of the UC100, and won't work with Mach3.

You can get the port # in Device Manager.
    But if you're using a 64 bit OS, the parallel port will not work. It'll only work with a 32bit version of Windows 7 or earlier.

If you want something cheaper than a UC100, there are a variety of chinese motion controllers on Ebay. With most of them, you'll find various Mach3 functions that are not supported.

Thank you for the info -
    Yes, I'm running a 64 bit Windows 7, I guess that answers some of my port issues. I think I'll try the UC100, it sounds like the least amount of headaches to get up and running.

Thank you again!

Thank you - I don't know if they're fake or just a cheaper similar product. Either way, I really do appreciate your time and insight and will probably purchase the UC100. I'll post again to let you know how it works out.

Make sure you get a real UC100. Anything similar will be an inferior product.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you - I don't know if they're fake or just a cheaper similar product. Either way, I really do appreciate your time and insight and will probably purchase the UC100. I'll post again to let you know how it works out.
    You don't know if it's fake or not... or... you DON'T want to know...? Big difference.

Very easy to identify the fake ones. If it costs less than $100 then it is fake. If it is sold for over $100 AND is NOT sold by CNC Drive or any of their distributors than it is also very likely that it is fake, but there are very few sellers who are selling fakes for over $100 so basically, all fakes are cheaper than $109 which is the price for the original shipped from Hungary.

Of course, if you are interested in the genuine product then you can also send a simple message to CNC Drive contact them and ask directly. You can also order directly from them, or they will help you to find the best dealer, nearest you.

So, now you can't claim that you don't know if it is fake or not. Don't blame CNC Drive if you don't get support for fake products, blame yourself and pay twice.

For serious, the Ethernet versions are a little more expensive but:
    1. They don't care 32/64 bit OS
    2. They are a shedload better at noise and ground loop immunity
    3. They are a bigboatshedload better at keeping latency to a minimum

I put off a USB conversion for ages but, seriously, do it. The UC400-ETH in that family is what I have, gives you a couple of parallel ports effectively worth of I/O for Mach3 or UCCNC. Or the newer UC300-ETH with its breakout board gives you something stupid like 5 LPT ports worth of IO and throws in some handy analogue I/O too. Very, very sweet bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post

I put off a USB conversion for ages but, seriously, do it. The UC400-ETH in that family is what I have, gives you a couple of parallel ports effectively worth of I/O for Mach3 or UCCNC. Or the newer UC300-ETH with its breakout board gives you something stupid like 5 LPT ports worth of IO and throws in some handy analogue I/O too. Very, very sweet bit of kit.

Thank you! I just looked at the ethernet version and I think I'll get that one instead of the UC100 - I'm also looking into the UCCNC, it look amazing. I have had decent luck with Mach3, but I don't like it very much. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this stuff out on my own, I'm so glad you guys came through for me once again! A million thanks!

I'd be interested to hear what you like about UCCNC over Mach3. You can download UCCNC for free and run it (without a machine attached, in demo mode) to get an even better idea.

Kinda hovering at the moment but I hear things like "it's 4th axis support isn't great" and get a bit twitchy.

Mach3 makes sense to me, and I look over the demo install of UCCNC and everything I expect to be there, well, it is. But aside from a smoother, faster machine control and the fact that the developers are still actively working on it, I'm not sure it's all that different on the front end to Mach3?

For me the most important difference is reliablity. The second is it's better motion control.
    I do not have a 4th axis so I can't comment on that.

I've been lucky so far with Mach3 - it's not crashed on me yet. Motion control of Mach3 + UC400ETH vs my original USB controller seems a lot nicer so I haven't been in a rush on that front either.

By the same token, I've stopped writing macros and screens for Mach3 so my subconscious has probably already made the decision to jump

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post

OK - I found this (it's a NC200) on Ebay and I think it should be compatible with my new PC, but I'm concerned it might be junk. If you don't mind taking a quick look and let me know what you think. I like the idea of ethernet and something simple to just plug in and go. I don't think the the UC400 is compatible with my Dell Optiplex computer, or I at least can't see how to connect it.

New CNC MACH3 MPG USB to Parallel LPT Port Converter Adapter 6 Axis Controller | eBay

I can't recommend any chinese controllers. And especially ones I've never seen before.

If your Dell has a network port, then the UC400 plugs into that.
    You can also add an ethernet PCI card, which is what I used for my UC300ETH.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

^^ What he said. A hundred US for something that will probably, eventually, work long enough to get through some simple tests but die on anything complex or just plain die after a couple weeks? Nah, I'd pop the extra and go the UC400ETH. Which plugs into your PC or laptop via plain old ethernet connection.

Thank you! I just looked at the ethernet version and I think I'll get that one instead of the UC100 - I'm also looking into the UCCNC, it look amazing. I have had decent luck with Mach3, but I don't like it very much. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this stuff out on my own, I'm so glad you guys came through for me once again! A million thanks!
    I like UCCNC but it does not have everything Mach3 has. On the other hand, Mach3 is dead (not developed/maintained any more) and UCCNC is fully alive and well. Then again, some of the features Mach3 has is not in UCCNC and probably never be or it will take a long time. Then again, UCCNC is MUCH cheaper... Also, before I bought and started to use UCCNC more seriously, I liked Mach3 more, so if you like Mach3 and buy a UC400 or UC300ETH then you can continue using Mach3, even if you also buy an UCCNC license. The two software can coexist on the same computer, the only drawback is that if you switch between UCCNC and Mach3 there will be an automatic firmware update between each start, but if you just use one or the other the firmware update is not done more than once, at first start.

In any case, regardless of how you do, you will be happy with both type of Ethernet drivers. The thing you have to consider is if you need the analogue inputs and outputs of the UC300ETH or not. If not then get the UC400, otherwise get the UC300ETH. No big price difference between the two, the main differences are in the number of and the type of inputs/outputs.

OK - I found this (it's a NC200) on Ebay and I think it should be compatible with my new PC, but I'm concerned it might be junk. If you don't mind taking a quick look and let me know what you think. I like the idea of ethernet and something simple to just plug in and go. I don't think the the UC400 is compatible with my Dell Optiplex computer, or I at least can't see how to connect it.

New CNC MACH3 MPG USB to Parallel LPT Port Converter Adapter 6 Axis Controller | eBay

It costs $108 so why not get a UC100 original from CNC drive for that price? Why even consider this one? I really don't see the benefits, and is DEFINITELY not something I'd spend my money on.

I am sure the Dell won't be a problem. It has a network port, just get a switch if you need it. I am running my UC300ETH and an Ethernet RS485 Modbus port through a switch connected to my LAN and it is not an issue at all. I really don't see why the Optiplex would be a problem. The Optiplex I had, also had an Ethernet port, but if you need an extra you can just buy a card.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    It costs $108 so why not get a UC100 original from CNC drive for that price? Why even consider this one? I really don't see the benefits, and is DEFINITELY not something I'd spend my money on.

I am sure the Dell won't be a problem. It has a network port, just get a switch if you need it. I am running my UC300ETH and an Ethernet RS485 Modbus port through a switch connected to my LAN and it is not an issue at all. I really don't see why the Optiplex would be a problem. The Optiplex I had, also had an Ethernet port, but if you need an extra you can just buy a card.
    OK, you're correct, I was looking at the UC400 backwards, oops! I do have a network port on my Dell - but I don't have a way to connect the UC400 to my CNC - It's a rat nest of wires.

This is literally what I'm working with, don't laugh.
    I might just get the UC100, although now I'd rather have ethernet. After seeing this, do you have any suggestions? Thank you everyone

Page 1 of 2 12