585,708 active members*
3,708 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Editing a SprutCAM post processor.

Editing a SprutCAM post processor.

Has anyone here done this? I want to make a couple of changes to my Tormach and Duality posts, but I'm a bit lost.

The changes aren't complex. I just want to add a standard header to the program. But I'm not sure where to start. If anyone has got some experience with these posts, I could use your advice.

Frederic

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    Has anyone here done this? I want to make a couple of changes to my Tormach and Duality posts, but I'm a bit lost.

The changes aren't complex. I just want to add a standard header to the program. But I'm not sure where to start. If anyone has got some experience with these posts, I could use your advice.

Frederic
    I have done a fair amount. Not an expert, but I understand how it all works pretty well. If you send me your post and an example of what you want, I will certainly take a shot at it. Sounds easy enough. You should have my email address from the Series 3 program you sent me.

Silly question, you do have the "All posts" version of SC? Otherwise can't edit anything.

Thanks! It's the standard Tormach post, so you probably have it already. If not, I'm happy to send it to you.

I appear to have the all posts version, as it has a lot of posts included. I've only tried the Tormach and Duality posts so far, but I assume that the others are functional.

I have a couple of major changes.

I want some headers at the beginning of the file.
    Code:
    %
    O0000
    (PROGRAM NAME)
    (DATE: 11/01/11 TIME: 19:19)  It would be nice if this would fill itself in.
    (PROGRAMMED BY: FRED)
    (MACHINE: TORMACH 1100 MILL)
    (MATERIAL TYPE: )
    (BLANK SIZE:  )
    (ORIGIN: )
    (NOTES: )
    And I would like to alter the way Sprut generates the tool list. I'm used to a specific format that my old job's MasterCAM post generated. It would be nice to keep things consistent.

Code:
    (******START TOOLING LIST******)
    ( T20  1/4 FLAT ENDMILL | FLUTES: 3 )
    ( T53 ENGRAVING TOOL | 0.020" TIP, 15 DEGREE | FLUTES: 1 )
    ( T35 3/8 INCH CHAMFER MILL | FLUTES: 2 )
    (*******END TOOLING LIST*******)
    I'd like to also find and alter the way each operation ends. An M01 followed by a few line breaks for clarity would help a lot.

Then at the end of the file, I'd to add these two lines right before the M30.

Code:
    N8720 G91 G28 Z0.
    N8730 G90 G59 P20 X0. Y0. A0.
    That's a lot to do, so please don't feel obligated to do it all. If you could just show me where in the post I should put these changes, I can probably figure out how to do it through trial and error.

Sincerely,
    Frederic

Thanks! It's the standard Tormach post, so you probably have it already. If not, I'm happy to send it to you.

I appear to have the all posts version, as it has a lot of posts included. I've only tried the Tormach and Duality posts so far, but I assume that the others are functional.

I have a couple of major changes.

I want some headers at the beginning of the file.
    Code:
    %
    O0000
    (PROGRAM NAME)
    (DATE: 11/01/11 TIME: 19:19)  It would be nice if this would fill itself in.
    (PROGRAMMED BY: FRED)
    (MACHINE: TORMACH 1100 MILL)
    (MATERIAL TYPE: )
    (BLANK SIZE:  )
    (ORIGIN: )
    (NOTES: )
    And I would like to alter the way Sprut generates the tool list. I'm used to a specific format that my old job's MasterCAM post generated. It would be nice to keep things consistent.

Code:
    (******START TOOLING LIST******)
    ( T20  1/4 FLAT ENDMILL | FLUTES: 3 )
    ( T53 ENGRAVING TOOL | 0.020" TIP, 15 DEGREE | FLUTES: 1 )
    ( T35 3/8 INCH CHAMFER MILL | FLUTES: 2 )
    (*******END TOOLING LIST*******)
    I'd like to also find and alter the way each operation ends. An M01 followed by a few line breaks for clarity would help a lot.

Then at the end of the file, I'd to add these two lines right before the M30.

Code:
    N8720 G91 G28 Z0.
    N8730 G90 G59 P20 X0. Y0. A0.
    That's a lot to do, so please don't feel obligated to do it all. If you could just show me where in the post I should put these changes, I can probably figure out how to do it through trial and error.

Sincerely,
    Frederic
    The most difficult may be the tooling list, but the other changes are pretty easy. Bad part is the post you sent me is the encrypted post, and cannot be changed. Sent you an email...

Now, that said, I am really good at Perl, and I could write a script to process the output from the SC post to make it look just like you want. Simple text manipulation. Would be a simple command line program. Let me know.

Frederic
    Hello Frederic.
    Postprocessor is a program. You need to have some programming experience to edit it. if you have such experience I recommend to have a look at this video
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daLs6zIcKHc]Postprocessor creations (rus).avi - YouTube[/ame]
    It is in Russian, may be you can understand. Anyway it will give you the understanging how to develop the postprocessor.

As a short answer on you question I recommend to do the next steps:
    1: Load example project in SprutCAM
    2: Run Postprocessor generator: "Main Menu->File->Postprocessor generator"
    3: Edit subroutine "PartNo"
    4: Click "Green triangle" and check the output

Alex

Frederic
    Dave, on the UK Sprut support site, uploaded a tutorial on editing posts that you may find of use. Or if you still have active SprutCAM support, maybe Eric at SprutCAMAmerica can help you.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Dave, on the UK Sprut support site, uploaded a tutorial on editing posts that you may find of use. Or if you still have active SprutCAM support, maybe Eric at SprutCAMAmerica can help you.

Mike
    Mike,
    Where is that tutorial from Dave? I looked at his website but could not find his tutorials.
    Thanks,
    Bevin

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post

Mike
    Unless you have the "All Posts" version, you can't edit the post.... OP had the "Tormach only" version...

Quote Originally Posted by dbrija View Post
    Unless you have the "All Posts" version, you can't edit the post.... OP had the "Tormach only" version...
    Sorry, it sounded like TXFred had the All-Posts version of SC7, but I must have misunderstood.

For others looking for the post-processor editing tutorial here is the link to Dave/UKs tutorial:

Postprocessor Tutorial - SprutCAM forum

For thiose that don't know, Dave provides, or at least used to provide, subscription-based SprutCAM support. I thought that costs were pretty modest - something like $150 per year.

His tech support web site is here:

SprutCAM Postprocessing - Sprut Technology (UK) Ltd. support site

Mike