I'm obviously new to CNC and am trying to figure out the relationships between the PS, drivers, stepper motors Amp, Voltage, and inductance. I am using the gecko 251's which max driver limits are 3.5 amps and 50 volts. So if I get a 48 volt power supply, my drivers are at their limit. I know the PS amps should be the motors combined amps x .67 and any motor over the drivers 3.5 amp limit will have there oz-in rating adjusted by oz-in x 3.5/(motors amps). So the steppers amp rating should be 3.5 or less to maintain their oz-in rating (or adjust the size to for the rating loss). The question I have is about the relationship between mH and voltage. I understand that using mH ( sqrt(mH) x 32) you can calculate the peak voltage for each motor (for a 48v PS that would be 2.25mH). Now my quandary, should I look at the motors I'm thinking of using and use the lowest mH rating for the PS voltage rating, use the highest (keeping in mind the 50v limit) and resisters on the lower mH rated motors, or something in the middle.

Does voltage just control acceleration? Because I intend to use it for wax carving and therefore don't need a lot of acceleration or IPMs.