585,758 active members*
4,483 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Use of a Foredom handpiece as spindle

Use of a Foredom handpiece as spindle

So i'm considering a Foredom 44t handpiece for a spindle on my smaller desktop mill. 13"x24"x1.5" This is a collet hand piece that new comes with .25 and .125 collets which should cover most of my needs. Currently i'm using a cheap harbor freight ($40) flex shaft setup that I got on sale but i'm limited to only using 3/16 and smaller bits. somewhat frustrating when you try to level the spoil board and do more than just small detail work.

I'm also considering removing the flex shaft and setting up a belt drive to the motor to improve the efficiency and some of the shaft noise/heating.

Just looking for peoples thoughts. Feel free to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by rkremser View Post
    So i'm considering a Foredom 44t handpiece for a spindle on my smaller desktop mill. 13"x24"x1.5" This is a collet hand piece that new comes with .25 and .125 collets which should cover most of my needs. Currently i'm using a cheap harbor freight ($40) flex shaft setup that I got on sale but i'm limited to only using 3/16 and smaller bits. somewhat frustrating when you try to level the spoil board and do more than just small detail work.

I'm also considering removing the flex shaft and setting up a belt drive to the motor to improve the efficiency and some of the shaft noise/heating.

Just looking for peoples thoughts. Feel free to chime in.
    If you look on the Foredom web site you will find other specialty hand pieces that may work better or run at higher speeds than the 44T model, but 44T is a commonly available model at a lower price. I think the idea is viable as long as it has ball bearings instead of sleeve bearing. It has been mentioned here before but I haven't seen any results of doing it. A workable brushless motor speed control is needed for powering the hand piece with an R/C electric flight motor. That was under development at one time also.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Have you considered using a small trim router?

I am using one on a smaller machine I built, They work great if you don't abuse them (taking massive cuts), it depends what your using it for. I have cut wood, brass, stainless but you have to take caution, I have run 3-4 hours straight full speed ( however I have a speed control) and have not noticed any real problem. They are built strong and for continuous use but not designed for real precision work. On the average I can hold +/.005 Mine is an older one not produced anymore, has a straight body so it is easy to hold. I think the max I can cut depth wise is around .060 15ipm with out too much tool flex in brass. Using 1/8 carbide cutting tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-_52-2.jpg