585,977 active members*
3,923 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thumbs up st 20 troubles

Hi all, this is my first post here. Just took delievery of a ST20 2 weeks old and had problems from the start, ordered machine with collet chuck which wasn't fitted and still not here, foot pedals not working needs new cable, lead screw error and finally the turret wouldn't referance home. Called haas and 3 days later a engineer arrived with the wrong part for the pedals, updated the software and said the machine will work but had to fiddle with cable to get the pedal to work ( waiting for right part). Since the update when pressing the turret fwd or reverse it will turn the same way, is there a setting to alter this?

Are you still experiencing any issues? If the turret indexing issue has not been resolved, try changing setting 97 to "closest". Please post/PM me your serial number so I can look up this machine.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Smile

Hi Ken thanx for reply just read it, man from Haas turned up today to fix the pedal and set the turret rite

I am not sure what the deal is with Haas. I guess you get what you pay for. We have 1 Haas that is good out of 3. Our Mini Mill is like a rock. It's near bulletproof. We bought our SL-10 and VF2SS because of the Mini Mill.

Unfortunately, we have had nothing but problems with both the SL-10 and VF2SS. The SL-10 isn't even paid for yet. We bought it new. It is on I/O board 6 or 7, I have lost count. Just got a new LCD monitor. It needs a drive pulley on the spindle and a drive belt. It won't turn a round part anymore. I think it may need bearings in the spindle. Mind you, 6000 rpm spindle and it's never been over 4500. Now the turret is acting up by not wanting to lock in place after an index. We bought it in 2007. It won't be paid for until this April.

The VF2SS is another sore spot. Amongst a list far longer than the SL-10, are the bearings in the 30HP spindle motor. Haas designs the spindle cartridge itself to handle the 12000 rpms, but the bearings in the motor won't handle 10000 rpm.

Bottom line... When you get a good one, it will go and go. When you don't, well... you don't. Sorry Haas, the VF2SS we bought will be the last Haas we buy.

Mike

We have to SL20's and a VF3. One SL20 runs live tooling, the other just X & Z. The older lathe (2006 model) without live tooling has been crashed, parts thrown, etc. and never once had a problem with it, runs like a beauty. The newer lathe (2008 model) with live tooling and a tail stock, is the biggest POS I've ever had to deal with. Turret faults out, x-axis center line come off. Seems to really be a crapshoot with their machines.

The collet chuck arrived this week, the fitter arrived Wednesday late afternoon to fit it, luckily I checked if our collets fitted, they didn't, they sent the wrong size.
    We got 2 Mazak lathes fitted with 65mm Hainbuch collet chucks with about 30 collets, we would like the same size fitted on the Haas.

Bought my third Haas a couple months ago, an ST-20. The turret wont unlock to home if the air has been turned off. Turns out the piston behind the turret has an o-ring groove out of spec and they have to replace the entire piston assy. So the first day the machine is down turns out they shipped the wrong part. So they "over night" (which takes two days), a new assy. and its missing the dowel pin that aligns the turret. No you just can't get the old one out of the old piston, its pressed and glued. So now they are checking inventory to see if they have another one to "over night".

The worst part is this machine feeds two of my others so now in effect I have three machines down and two operators I'm paying to do busy work.

By the way, the parts cather is a POS. The sliding panel in the door gets chips in it and slides out of place then when the tray tries to flip up it gets bent because it jams against the door. So I take the slinding plate out. Helps but the cover on the tray still gets chips between it and the door so it bends the cover and the tray won't flip up. Ok, so ditch the cover and it works but now the catch bin fills with chips.

Sorry for the rant.

Shane

Talking

I know i griped on about the machine at first and I know some machines can have teething problems but I can't fault our local Haas engineers now, they've spent hours sorting out our problems and now the machine is working fine, "touch wood".