585,573 active members*
3,600 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

galil 2180 and amc amps

Hi I'm new to CNCZone , this will be my first post. I've been building a CNC router for a number of years and now
    that I'm retired I have time to finish it. All I have left is the wiring etc. I have a Galil 2180 with Galil ICM 2900 and I am connecting to
    Three AMC BE25A20AC Amps Two of these amps have INV , (not -INV)at the end of the model code and two have a D at the end
    I am using Brushless DC motors and hope to run in Torque Mode. My computer seems to be talking to my galil 2180.I'm not sure
    on the settings and wiring. I have Galil tools up and running but its greek to me. So any help would be great. Anyone have a machine set up like this? I have a image i'll try to post as well ( it is attached)
    But not sure how. Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2900c.bmp  

If you have everything hooked up the first thing to check is the encoders, turn them in both directions after each turn, to a TP, this will tell you if they are hooked up and working, the next is to turn the motor outputs on by a SH and then a move command, PA and then a BG.
    There is a manual tuning detail in the Galil manual, if you don't have the tuning s/w.
    http://www.galilmc.com/support/appno...s/note5446.pdf
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Encoders seem OK

Thanks Al, first off I had to figger out what TP SH etc meant, I had seen those somewhere in my reading so went looking. I printed all the Galil Commands and tried out the ones suggested. I powered up the encoders and turned the motor shaft first one way then the other. The light on the Amp stayed green (i'm only working with one axis/motor right now)The numbers went positive and lower and back to neg as I turned it one way and then the other. I tried TP and the number matched what was shown on Galil Tools Terminal. I noticed the axis fault numbers showed as the opposite as the encoder numbers is that correct? I then turned off power to amp and connected the motor power ,restarted power, light still green, using the terminal i entered SH then PA 10000 and then BG. No Movement.
    The KD,KP and KI sliders at the top of Galil tools I had set to zero , if I move KD nothing happens, move KP and motor goes clockwise, move KP back to zero it stops.
    The KI slider does the same, same direction etc. The error light on the Galil 2180 comes on Red. It would have been sweet if the motor had moved with the BG command. If you look at my Attachment you can see what I have hooked up or not. A to A , B to B Etc
    Any help is very much Appreciated.
    Rick

The BG has to have a axis letter, e.g. BGX etc.
    also PA has to be assigned depending on axis, PA10000 = X or PA,10000 = Y.
    The -ref on the amp does not seem to be connected to D(Gnd)?
    also how come you used a separate supply for the halls and not use the Amp power supply or 5v from the 2900?
    the HALL-C does not show connected on the print?
    With the halls connected and the amp power off, turning the shaft the LED should stay on on the drive, if it goes to red then the hall sequence is wrong.
    Also, once you have the drive hooked up, it may need the motor direction phasing corrected if it runs away.
    via the MT or -MT command.
    Al.

Albert E.

AL thanks for the info, Hall 3 line just disappeared when I resized the image I guess, -Ref is connected to GND. So I tried using the proper commands but I still get a error that reads as follows 2010 command error Galil::Command (BG X)got? instead of response. TCI returned "22" not possible due to limit switch. I have no limit switches installed.
    Rick

You may have inverted input IC on the 2900, do a TS (Tell Switches) it will show the decimal value of the switches look in the TS XYZ instruction for the fwd rev inputs for each axis Bits 2 & 3, convert the decimal to binary.
    You may have to provide a pull up or pull down for these depending on how they are configured.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al I did a TS command and all switches are 35, After that you've lost me, I did go into the watch program where they show the value of each switch.
    They are all zero.Rick

If you convert that to binary to look a the state of each bit, 35 is 00100011.
    Which means the fwd and rev L.S.'s show tripped or equivalent to activated (2 & 3).
    Therefor bit 5 (MO) is also off.
    You have to change the logic of the fwd rev L.S.'s to clear it, by wiring the inputs to I believe the +5, if that doesn't do the trick, try to common (GND).
    When the motor is not turning, the inputs would typically read 15 00001111.
    This is if the SH is on or no MO has been activated.
    Al.
    Al.

Albert E.

AL some more clues I have found, The ICM 2900 has a little white tag that says OPTO on it, plus the 2180 also has a opto Dip switch but it is turned OFF. I'm searching and reading sorta learning a little as I go. I'll stick with it until I get it working. I really don't know much about electronics or progamming but I can build things. I was a shop teacher, Woodwork and Drafting, AutoCad Mastercam etc. I had to Sub today ,so not much spare time.
    Thanks again for any help
    Rick

You have this version, http://www.galilmc.com/support/appno...a/note1427.pdf it has opto isolated outputs, you may have an inverter IC for the inputs, this is why they are tripped.
    I will look the rest of my Galil data sheets out tomorrow.
    Al.

Albert E.

I put 5v to limits in, TS number in now 3, I hooked up GND to limits in, and TS number is 3
    I disconnect all wires and TS stays 3 I reboot 2180 and TS stays 3. The motor will spin if I give it just a slight start. It will stop when I slide KD,KP, and KI to zero, but no motion from the BGX command Rick

Al in the watch program the value of the limit switches has changed to 1, I don't know how I did that, I guess with the TS being 3 it changed the value. But motor still not moving . Rick

How are your limits being fed?
    There is usually a jumper on the DMC board (LSCOM) to set the L.S. supply from internal, from the board itself, to external supply.
    Also try unplugging the 2900 and do a TS and see if the number changes, it is faster if your calculator has dec,bin,hex convertor to display the bits you need on.
    Depending on what axis you are using to test, the inputs for the limits are RLSX, FLSX, RLSY, FLSY etc.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al next day, I can get TS to 3 but now limit switch value 0 and I can't get it to 1.
    I'll keep trying things.
    Rick

OOPS didn't notice your post I'm using the +5v that is right there by limit switch inputs. It seems the 5volts in changed the TS number from 35 to 3. I don't see any jumpers on the DMC , maybe inside the case. there are Dip switches, ENET,OPT,38.4K,19.2K,9600,HSHK,XON and MRST, these seem like communication switches.Tried TS with 2900 unplugged, no change still reads 3 ,The binary thing is something I have learn yet.
    Rick

I will dig out the schematic of the 2900 and see it I can see anything that could cause it?
    Al.

Albert E.

What is the voltage on the LSCOM pin on the 2900?
    It would seem you do not have power on the inputs.
    Which is either external through LSCOM or internal from a Lscom jumper usually on the card.
    The manual for your card is not listed on the Galil site, was this a new card?
    Al.

Albert E.

The voltage on the LSCOM is about 4 volts but I have nothing hooked to this Terminal
    My controller is older, the 2280 is the new one, I think it is the same except faster ethernet.
    Rick

My controller is in a seperate case connected by 10 base ethernet to computer and with a 100 pin cable to the ICM 2900
    Do you have a JP3 jumper on the main board?
    Al.

I would have to take apart the case to see the main circuit board as no JP Jumpers exposed. Should I take it apart ? I would have to look for the tiny allen wrenches for those screws, I know I have some.

Page 1 of 3 123