584,846 active members*
4,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool for milling OSB sheets

Does anyone have any experience with milling OSB sheets? What type of mill are you using? I'm having a hard time not getting frayed edges.

Thanks

I work for Kansas City Store Fixtures. I run a Biesse Rover 346 and a brand new Weeke flatbed. Not sure what it is cause i dont see the machine on their website. My boss says its part of the Vantech group of machines, but I the model on the control unit is bhp 008 profline.....Anyway, i digress.

We do a project every summer for a natoinwide company that requires us to mill hundereds of sheets of osb. I'm limited by what cutters my boss will buy. Very limited. My options last two years were .500 two flute straight, .500 two flute down shear, and .500 compression bits. None of which left a super clean edge. Im not a master operator by any means, I've only been running this rover for 3 years. I played with all three bits at varying feeds and found the comp bit at about 12-15 m/min was best. It was not a "clean" cut but better than the other two.
    This year we are running these panels on the Weeke and using a(hope i describe this right, i am a newb) .375 3 flute chip break spiral downturn. Fed at 18 m/min, it cuts much cleaner than the others did on the Rover.

Hope this helps, or at least stirs some dicussion, i was going to post this question myself.

IMHO I doubt there is any way to make a clean cut in osb without a cover sheet, as the grain goes every which away. I would guess super light cuts would help. I wonder if it would be possible to make a "presser foot" shroud for the cutter? Probably require a special spindle.
    We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.

Re: Tool for milling OSB sheets

I know this post is really old but I get clean edges using a spiral compression bit from Vortex Tool, although Onsrud and others also have compression spirals. I machined about 7,500 feet of OSB with one bit (model 3485XP) before the edges started to become frayed.