585,906 active members*
3,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help With Blown Fuse

I recently acquired an EZ Path 1, and I have no experience on any CNC type machines so I have been taking it real slow and learning along the way. I just discovered a problem that I can't figure out. I tried the Taper function in the Do Event mode and when I pressed the Select button on the carriage I got an alarm that said the emergency stop activated press any key to clear. The problem is that won't clear it and I found a fuse blown in the main electrical cabinet. It was FU 9 for the 24 volt power supply. Well this happened again the next time I tried it so anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    George

There are 2 select buttons, one on the CRT and one on the carraige.
    I am going to step out on a limb here and assume it is the one on the carraige.
    There are 2 possibilities. Both mean you have a short to ground and thus blow the fuse.
    There is a cable that runs from the control through the flexible wire way to the carraige. The cable may be damaged. Yes it is a chore to get to it and repair it or replace it.
    Second possibility is that the switch box on the carraige has a plug on the back that coolant gets into. The wires can corrode and break off thus also creating a short. Take a look.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Help With Blown Fuse

Thanks George,
    I think I found the short in the wiring to the control box on the carriage. After I took it apart I found a wire from the shielding in the cable poking into one of the wires. At this time it works OK and I'm inclined not to mess with it anymore unless it does it again. I have not been able to get it to blow another fuse so I guess that was the problem.
    The CRT panel doesn't have a "select" button on it. Am I not understanding one of the buttons functions or??? Attached is a photo of the CRT panel.
    Thanks again for the help
    George
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3192.jpg