501,873 active members
966 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12
    Registered

X2 Machine from Stock

This May be taken care of in a later release, but im stuck with X2 for now. I also use FeatureCam regularly, and I love it. A great benefit from it is the ease to machine from stock. FC recognizes stock, and will generate code to machine a given contour, and all the existing stock around it. Even when I create a bounding box, with stock and /or solid I can tseem to get it to machine everything else. MC just cuts around the contour and thats it. Especially with surface milling. Makes roughing very difficult.

Any help will be appreciated. thank you.

Registered
    Is this a question? Or are you a Troll? Roughing with MC is SIMPLE.
    Tim

Registered
    Yes it is a question, And what if I am a troll? Do you have something against them??

Registered
    HAHA ok.

So what is the question? You need to tell us where you are stuck. Sounds like you don't know the software at all.
    Tim

Registered
    I know my way around it well.I have just never tried it before. I have a simple boss profile, that I want to machine from a large piece of stock. I want to machine it from the outside -in, and rough away all the stock. Not just go around the profile. make sense?

Registered
    The simple answer is just use multiple paths on a single contour. Add enough passes to compensate for the amount of removal per side and you are done.

So, if you have 1" of stock to remove on a contour (per side) and you take a .25" cut, just put 4 rough passes at .25" per pass. Comprendo?

Super quick, super simple.
    Tim

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    The simple answer is just use multiple paths on a single contour. Add enough passes to compensate for the amount of removal per side and you are done.

So, if you have 1" of stock to remove on a contour (per side) and you take a .25" cut, just put 4 rough passes at .25" per pass. Comprendo?

Super quick, super simple.
    Ive done that plenty of times. I was just hoping for something a little more efficient. If the contour doesnt have the same shape as the stock, it tends to cut a lot of air.

What MC release did they start their feature based machining? I have that on Featurecam, and it is great at reducing program generation times, and makes efficient toolpaths.

Registered
    Unfortunately, X2 does not have allot of options for 2d roughing. You would either have to create extra geometry to get an efficient 2d roughing tool path or accept that you are going to have an inefficient path that is easy to create.

The feature base machining in mastercam is a joke at this point. It works but not well enough to rely on. BUT! there are several 2d roughing operations added since X3 that are far more efficient than what you are using now. X6 will be even better rumor has it.

If you are stuck with X2 unfortunately you are going to be stuck having to create geometry to drive your tool paths if you are looking for efficiency.

use pocket facing option pick you main boundry and then the inside profile. make sure to set enough overlap to cut all edeges of the stock.

set for outside to inside and have it not finish main boundry so it will only finish the standing core area.. this option is real old.

let me know if you need a sample,
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Registered
    Good call cadcam. Mastercam gives so many options that I've never had any trouble getting it to do what I want - and since MC is so easy to draw in, it normally only takes seconds to get a stock profile defined. Unfortunately, though, it seems MC lathe has the better stock recognition features. Seems they are working on it for MILL so hopefully we will see something there soon.

To the OP - why don't you just stick with Featurecam if you are so happy?
    Tim

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    use pocket facing option pick you main boundry and then the inside profile. make sure to set enough overlap to cut all edeges of the stock.

set for outside to inside and have it not finish main boundry so it will only finish the standing core area.. this option is real old.

That option is only practical in SOME situations. If you do not want your cutter charging in to material and burying itself then it can be hit or miss.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post

Thats it!! Thank you. Very easy to do. Ive seen that option there before, but never thought to try it.

Page 1 of 2 12