584,846 active members*
4,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Drilling pipe

Hello,
    I think this has been discused but, the search tool was not cooperating with me. Please reply if you can help or direct me to another thread if necessary.

I'm looking for advise on how to drill holes in pipe with conventional workshop tools. I don't have a mill or lathe. I would like the holes to be aligned. This is of course for supporting the pipe for slide rails.

Thanks for your help.
    -Rocko

Rocko,

Conventional workshop tools is a little broad. Do you have a drill press?

Mounting a vise to the drill press table and aligning it very carefully to center the clamped tube under the bit is a start, however, moving from one hole to the next is a bit tricky. You could stick a piece of drill rod in the first hole and use it and the drill bit in the chuck as sort of winding sticks to eyeball vertical alignment (not high precision but eyeballs are pretty good). If you succeed in getting two holes lined up vertically then you should be able to use another piece of drill rod and a straight edge to line up the first two holes and the drill bit.

Or, Create a fixture, mount two pieces of wood (separated by the diameter of the pipe) to align the pipe on a wood base. Draw a center line lengthwise between the two pieces of wood. Drill two holes on the centerline separated by the distance that you want between the holes in the pipe. Set up the drill press to align with one of the holes. After drilling the first hole, without moving the fixture, slide the pipe down to where you can stick a piece of drill rod through the hole in the pipe and into the second hole in the jig. Then drill the second hole in the pipe. Repeat as needed.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Nightz
    Hello,
    I think this has been discused but, the search tool was not cooperating with me. Please reply if you can help or direct me to another thread if necessary.

I'm looking for advise on how to drill holes in pipe with conventional workshop tools. I don't have a mill or lathe. I would like the holes to be aligned. This is of course for supporting the pipe for slide rails.

Thanks for your help.
    -Rocko
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JigIdea.JPG  

i like the jig, simple and effective - you could use a piece of channel or angle iron as well. heres another way to use it. make it long enough to clamp the pipe to it - leave the pipe clamped to it for all the holes - ie dont' disturb the set up between holes. clamp a fence to the drill press table such the spindle axis is right over the pipe. this doesn't control spacing but keeps the holes going through the centre and keeps them on the same radian (is that the right word?). those were the more difficult aspects of drilling a long round section as i recall it. spacing between holes is traditional layout work - use a transfer punch to get the location for the corresponding tapped holes.

Acondit / Mcgyver,

I do have a drill press and the proper equipment/materials do do either of your suggestions. Thank you both fot your help. Between the two setups you have shared, I should be able to achive my goal.

Thanks again,
    -Rocko