585,970 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Optimum BF20L CNC conversion using the Smooth Stepper
Page 26 of 31 162425262728
    Car Window Grille = BRILLIANT!

Been looking for a cheap source of the linkage for ages.

Thanks!

Bob Warfield
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Great idea on the "hinge"! Can't wait to see finished product.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Please don't take any of this as criticism. I'm simply thinking out loud.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what could you possibly be doing to load all four steppers at the same time with enough load to burn up the power supply. (flame2) I would think that the steppers you're using should have enough margin that you should never be running them at 100% anyway. I'm running the 570in/oz Nema 23s from Kelling and I'm not pushing them anywhere near full load. You'd have to run the X and Y right at their stalling point to max out the power supply. That's 1200/in oz of torque or in electrical terms 576W(3/4hp). My guess is that the 12.5A rating is peak and its continuous rating is more like 8A. Or more likely, you just got unlucky and got a bad one.

Any way about it I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully the replacement will give you a lifetime of service.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Hey there all, working on my telescopic way covers pics to follow later on today. ...but just a heads up here regarding the power supply PSU just make sure that the rated amperage output is sufficient to supply enough for ALL your motors requirements. ....in my case I have a 48VDC 12.5A output but my 4 axis combined under full load required a tad under 28A and so my PSU burned out yesterday. .......

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
    Please don't take any of this as criticism. I'm simply thinking out loud.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what could you possibly be doing to load all four steppers at the same time with enough load to burn up the power supply. (flame2) I would think that the steppers you're using should have enough margin that you should never be running them at 100% anyway. I'm running the 570in/oz Nema 23s from Kelling and I'm not pushing them anywhere near full load. You'd have to run the X and Y right at their stalling point to max out the power supply. That's 1200/in oz of torque or in electrical terms 576W(3/4hp). My guess is that the 12.5A rating is peak and its continuous rating is more like 8A. Or more likely, you just got unlucky and got a bad one.

Any way about it I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully the replacement will give you a lifetime of service.

Chris
    Not only that, but any power supply of even middling quality will protect itself by either shutting down, or worst case, blowing a fuse, rather than going up in smoke. That power supply was a piece of junk - You get what you pay for...

Build yourself a decent un-regulated supply using a good toroidal transformer from Antek, bridge rectifier, and big filter caps. They can withstand a 200% overload for several minutes with no problems whatsoever, and even higher loads for shorter periods of time. Put a slow-blow fuse on the primary, and you'll never blow it up.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I have a question for you. I just watched your video of milling an impeller. What speed, feed and DOC was that? When I built my machine I was hoping it would feed at that general speed. So far I haven't been able to go any higher than 20IPM because the spindle won't turn fast enough to allow it. My belt drive will be done soon, so I should be able to double my current rpm and feed rates. Once I get the treadmill motor hooked up I'll triple my RPM. :banana:

Thanks,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Not only that, but any power supply of even middling quality will protect itself by either shutting down, or worst case, blowing a fuse, rather than going up in smoke. That power supply was a piece of junk - You get what you pay for...

Build yourself a decent un-regulated supply using a good toroidal transformer from Antek, bridge rectifier, and big filter caps. They can withstand a 200% overload for several minutes with no problems whatsoever, and even higher loads for shorter periods of time. Put a slow-blow fuse on the primary, and you'll never blow it up.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Thanks for the advice Ray, while I was browsing websites for a replacement I had come across the term "toroidal transformer" a few times but simply put with my lack of electrical knowledge I wasn't sure if I needed a "regulated" power supply like my own.

Regarding the "piece of junk" me I'm not electricaly experienced enough to test if the PSU was faulty however the internal glass fuse certainly didn't blow as I checked it by removing the cover and set my multimeter to OHMs setting and I got a continuity reading across the fuse. I simply bought a keling 48V PSU as in the photo, but it may have been a faulty one....as in my initial order I recieved a faulty 5VDC PSU that fried my USB Smooth Stepper and I had Greg from Warp9 scratching his head for two weeks troubleshooting until we deduced that the 5V was actually faulty...so 'maybe' the 48V was also faulty but I've been using it for over a year I think

Please don't take any of this as criticism.
    Chris
    Absolutely none whatsoever taken Chris....I'd be just as happy to get members input as that's why I'm here to learn as much as I can.....regarding maxing out the steppers, that's what I was lead to believe from a supplier on the phone when I enquired for a replacement PSU and when asked I told him the steppers rated required amperage for my wiring configuration...and in my case I'm using the KL34H295-43-8B 960ozin (6.7nm) for my Z axis and with parallel wiring the motors rated amps is 6.1A and for the X & Y axis I'm using the KL34H280-45-8A 640ozin (4.5nm) and again wired parallel and those motors rated amps is 6.3A.......and not including the A axis which is also the same as my X & Y...the supplier suggested on the phone that I'd requires a minimum of a 18.7A output PSU and thats not taking into consideration the additional axis motors......

I'm open to critisims and advice as I can connect and solder electronics as good as the next chap but regarding the equations and or the specifics well thats where I need to learn....and so if a Stepper Motor's rated amperage input states a figure do you add all the motors rating numbers to get the relevant amps output required from your PSU?

and I was machining steel when it happened using a carbide two flute cutter and all three axis (X,Y & Z) moving at the same time?? my spindle motor is a 2HP three phase motor and at the time was running at 1200 rpm and DOC was .3mm and my feed was I think around 75mm/min it's really my first time CNCing steel and I was slowly bringing up the rpms and feed rate to see what my machine could work at without stress and I had already been running the machine for about 1 1/2 hrs without stopping slowly increasing the speeds and feeds!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Electrical.jpg   Keling 48V 12.5A PSU.jpg  
    Eoin

This is the one I went with after reading I wouldn't need a switching PSU.
    Torodial 50V
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Torodial 50V
    Nice one thanks for the link
    Eoin

I have a question for you. I just watched your video of milling an impeller. What speed, feed and DOC was that? When I built my machine I was hoping it would feed at that general speed. So far I haven't been able to go any higher than 20IPM because the spindle won't turn fast enough to allow it. My belt drive will be done soon, so I should be able to double my current rpm and feed rates. Once I get the treadmill motor hooked up I'll triple my RPM. :banana:

Thanks,

Chris
    I had to rewatch the video to remind myself and as you can hear in the video I'm still using the stock DC motor too as the the motor/belt upgrade runs way quiter...with the stock motor I used to normally run approx at 1200mm/min (around 47IPM) and DOC 0.3mm (0.011")
    Eoin

Torodial 50V
    The Antek supplies (Antek - Your reliable source of transformers, power supplies, and more.) are excellent, and a LOT cheaper than that. I would not be surprised if Keling bought their supplies, or at least the toroidal transformers, from Antek.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray, where did you purchase your Antek supply? I can't seem to find them anywhere but Antek's web site.

Ray, where did you purchase your Antek supply? I can't seem to find them anywhere but Antek's web site.
    That is where you buy them. Why would you want to go somewhere else?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Oh crap, I was thinking ANTEC, the PC power supply and accessory company. Their products are available all over the place and much cheaper than retail.

Farnell offers toroidial transformers, this is where I got my 2x50V 1000VA.

Quote Originally Posted by minimum View Post
    Farnell offers toroidial transformers, this is where I got my 2x50V 1000VA.
    Thanks for the link
    Eoin

Keling/Automationtechnoligies and CNC4PC are out of stock till april for Toroidal PSU's.
    Eoin

I saw that... plus the Antek site shows out of stock also!
    Maybe plug straight into the wall and kink the wire to slow down current. LOL
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Maybe plug straight into the wall and kink the wire to slow down current. LOL
    Went one better ..........stuck me fingers into the socket and held the stepper driver in the other hand but the overhead lights came on pity though the stepper didn't budge
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Here's a suggestion for making cheap working telescopic way covers...and I know that factory made covers have the wipers also fitted but I saw on the Fadal website that you can purchase a roll of way cover wipers for those of you guys in the US and I'm looking into suppliers on this side of the pond and I'll post the results when I have suitable links... pity those of here haven't at our disposal the vast supplier range that you guys have as you can't beat US made machine tooling and accessories(rant over).....but in my case I'm fitting the covers with a good angle for the coolant to wash of most (hopefully all) of the chips that land on the covers...

Using a scrap piece of 1/2" aluminum I cut a slot to suit my way covers fold and then tried a sample bend and apart from the aluminium surfaces being scratched (purely cosmetic) I was happy with the outcome......

Then cutting the 1mm sheet to size I used my bench vice again and a piece of 20mm X 6mm (3/4" X 1/4") steel and press folded the way covers hinge mounting points......

And finally using some 50mm X 50mm (2" X 2") folded the side flaps....and I know I needn't have used anything as heavy but I had the steel solid square bar off-cut at my disposal. .......

I didn't have to make my hinge as my local Aldi (wall mart equivalent) had folding telescopic car window guards to stop pets from high tailing it off when you leave the windows open....
    Great thinking Eoin,
    I found something similar on ebay for $10. Worth giving it a whirl.
    Car Window Pet Gate Auto Window Pet Gate Lets Fresh Air in Keeps Pet Safe Cool | eBay
    Thanks for sharing, Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Great thinking Eoin,
    I found something similar on ebay for $10. Worth giving it a whirl.
    Car Window Pet Gate Auto Window Pet Gate Lets Fresh Air in Keeps Pet Safe Cool | eBay
    Thanks for sharing, Hoss
    Thanks Hoss and yeah that looks pretty much the same as mine.

My covers aren't finished yet and I'll put a short video up to show it working.
    Eoin

Page 26 of 31 162425262728