584,871 active members*
5,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > FeatureCAM CAD/CAM > Using Machine Datum / G54

Using Machine Datum / G54

Help,
    I'll try my best to explain this as clearly as possiable.

I want to be able to run a part through FeatureCam but move too and from the G54 code throughout the program.

My machine does the tool changes as the home position of the machine therefore throughout the program I jump between the G54 position and the world coordinate positon.

I'll try and explain how I plan to do it. I have a matrix plate on my table but the "orgin" of the machine is in the upper left constraints of the machine. So what I want to do is bring the matrix plate into featureCam which has the origin postioned correctly from the machine. Then I want to postion my "STOCK" / "PART" on the table so I know where I should be positioning it. Then the stock / part UCS I want to be the G54. This means then the FeatureCAM model will generate code basically the same way as the machine will work.

At the moment I have followed the instructions of bringing the part in from solidworks I want to machine. Setup the stock around the parts and place the UCS then carryout the machinine operations.

I then open another part with the matrix plate and do a save as and name it as my new part. I make sure that I say the matrix plate is a clamp. Then I go back to the part do a select all and copy. Then do a paste special and bring it in to the document with the matrix plate. What seems to happen is that it doesnt bring through the stock information. It seems very clumsy doing it this way anyone gknow how this can work better?

Cheers
    Ant

could you post a screen shot of what your trying to do. Sorry, but I read your post 2-3 times and just can't get it. Thanks Janos

You could have a file that just has your plate model in it, with the g54 set where you want on the edge of the plate. When you start a new part, open your plate file, then do file, import, and bring in your new part model and tell it to accept as is. Translate your part model to the desired location, then hide the plate model and define your stock with only the new part on the screen.

Why would it matter where G54 is on the machine? Make the part origin the G54 location in FM and then set that G54 anywhere on the table that you want. Your machine really shouldn't care where the Toolchange is made as long as it clears the part. If the machine changes tools in Machine coordinates, fine, change back to G54 after the T/C and you're back where you need to be.

J

Run the part with G54 and edit the post to go to machine zero (G53) in the tool change. That way it doesnt matter what work coordinate you are in.

Janos