586,005 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

plasma cam pipe/tube cutter

I just recieved another brochure in the mail from plasmacam. In it I see plasmacam has a new pipe cutting accessory. Does anyone have any experience with thie new accessory? From the pics it almost looks like the gantry (y axis) has been raised? Does this accessory roll the pipe wile it is being cut with the plasma. This looks to do an excelent job at notching pipe for tie ins which would work very well for tie ins on stainless pipe.

Pipe Cutter is Doing Great!

Hello Guys,

I have been meaning to post some news about my Plasma Cam Pipe Cutter for a while now. So after pilfering the knowledge on this forum for sometime, I finally registered.

I have had the Plasmacam Pipe Cutter for about three months now and have made some amazing stuff so far. A lot of the guys get the Pipe Cutter for notching pipe and other more industrial applications. However, I wanted to use it in more of an artistic application. My favorite project for the pipe cutter came after talking to one of the sales people at PlasmaCam, he gave me a brilliant idea! Literally! So I made my first outdoor light with a 6" diameter sch 40 pipe with my home address number on it. I rigged it on a timer to light up at night and it sits at the entrance of the driveway. I thought about painting it, but I kind of enjoy the natural rustic look that it has.

I had about 15 random people and neighbors stop by my house last week ask me where I got it. Originally, I intended to keep my machine strictly for my personal 'tinkering around'. I have a full time job, so my intention was not to make it my job. But now that the cat is out of the bag and with all of the attention this stuff is getting, my wife has been pestering me about making some of this stuff for people the side. My wife stays at home, so I told her fine...but you going to be making the stuff on the plasmacam while I am at work! She was scared at first... but now I have her making all sorts of stuff while I am at work!

The main reason why I got this machine was that it is easy to use. So here you go, this is a classic example. I can even trust my wife with it!

- L

Larry,

That is great! The tube cutter is definitely on my list next. I have talked to some other that have done some really amazing things with it.

Thanks for sharing Larry!

Richard

Larry,

What kind of files does it take to import for, say, tube notching?
    I'm assuming you can do things within their own software as well, but im interested in importing.

Thanks

-H

Quote Originally Posted by hpcycling View Post
    Larry,

What kind of files does it take to import for, say, tube notching?
    I'm assuming you can do things within their own software as well, but im interested in importing.

Thanks

-H
    The pipe cutting attachment runs on a level of Plasmacam's versitle design edge software platform. In essence, you are working on the same program that you would use to do any other normal cutting operations. Since your are not using a different program to cut pipe, you can import a huge multitude of file formats . I primarily import JPEG, DXF, Tiff and on occasion STL files (you can also bring in G-code, but I don't need to mess with that crap anymore because with the plasmacam it is completely unnecessary). So this would allow you to use pretty much any drawing file that is generated by an outside program. I also use design edge to draw and design the things that I put into the pipe.

What I really enjoy about the whole experience is the fact that I don't have to learn a whole another program the use the pipe cutter. Within designedge, I simply check a box and specify the diameter of pipe and the program screen adapts to specify the parameters of the pipe. You then can simply import your file, scale it to fit the dimensions of your pipe and hit the cut button.

If you are notching pipe, the Designedge program has some really good pre-made templates that you can easily customize to suit your specifications. Let me know if you have nay other questions.

- Larry

Hi Guys, new here and stumbled across this thread when seeking information about the plasmcam tube fixture.

I would like to know if it possible to cut in Square tubes also? The demo video only shows round tubes. Anyone ?

All the best
    Claus, Denmark

Hi,Guys!
    I'm Vasas from Hungary!
    I have pipe/square plasma cutting machine.
    Own Thc-mpt2011,my own Diy thc control , microchip pic 18f.
    software:bytube,ArtCam,mach3
    Attachment 198070
    http://indavideo.hu/video/Plasma_cnc...eny_zarkivagas
    http://indavideo.hu/video/D28x3mm_cs...kos_8_es_furat

Re: plasma cam pipe/tube cutter

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoeDK View Post
    I would like to know if it possible to cut in Square tubes also? The demo video only shows round tubes. Anyone ?
    Claus,

The PlasmaCam cutter is designed to roll round tubing to cut it.