584,863 active members*
4,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Ah well, a little delay but you paid to get a good machine not a damaged one so it's for the best.
    Hopefully the delay isn't too long.
    Best of luck, Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

I would take the oppurtunity of disassembly and reassemmbly to carefully inspect all the mating surfaces and machined faces for debris, dings and dents. It is more than likely that the machining and assembly of this mill is not of the standard indicated in the broucher and it's not uncommon for swarf and or machining burrs to be sandwiched between joints. I don't mean to be critical of your purchase, only to point out that there are things that process workers can and do over-look. Tramming of the head to the table will be, in the case that it is out of square, a process of elimination. So, if you know that all the mating faces are both clean and free of dents you will have more sucess in trouble shooting and hopefully enjoy greater rigidity and vibration free machining. A good idea too would be to inspect the screws as well. Not all screws are created equal. Look for visual miss matches and also different specifications on the heads. Running a slip stone with WD40/CRC over all mating faces will in any case not do any harm.

Man, Grizzly called back saying they have no more G0704 in stock now. Next shipment is in February. These mills sure go fast. In less than a week, they're out of stock. I didn't really drag my feet in going over the machine either. I got it on Thursday, checked it out over the weekend, and contacted them yesterday, where they still had them in stock.

Not sure what to do now. They only gave me the return for refund option or wait it out. What a PITA.

I'm surprised they were even in stock at all. They have been on a continuous backorder for quite some time

sight glass

Unless that's something new, spindle bearings are only greased. Although, my mill was received last month with a small round sight glass on the head, it's purpose is not clear. Perhaps a rolling change to move to oil lube??
    -Mike[/QUOTE]

I received my mill last December and it has the sight glass also. This is the response from Grizzly on me inquiring about it:

"It is our pleasure to contact you regarding callback #212448. The factory uses the same headstock on several machines. A different machines has a oil bath headstock so an oil sight glass is included in the headstock. However, your machine has gears packed with grease, not an oil bath."

Nothing to worry about.

rdoramus

Howdy, I'm a newby on here. Just picked up the G0704 from Grizzly in Bellingham, it had a sight glass too.(9/2011 build date) They had several in stock. Are these mills OK and acurate? I've read as much as I could stand before buying it. I needed the bigger table or I would have got the G019.

"It is our pleasure to contact you regarding callback #212448. The factory uses the same headstock on several machines. A different machines has a oil bath headstock so an oil sight glass is included in the headstock. However, your machine has gears packed with grease, not an oil bath."
    ...hahaha quoting a quote.....thanks for the update rdoramus.

-Mike

Page 2 of 2 12