585,687 active members*
4,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Choosing CAM Software

Hi People

just wondering on peoples thoughts for cheap 4th axis CAM Software that is pretty easy to learn and has good tutorials/walkthoughts/books to help me learn it.

Most of the time i will be doing 3 axis but would like the 4th axis as i'm building a machine that will do 4th axis.

I have tried some of the demo packages of the top of line software but strugle to pick up the basics, i have some sample models that i have drawen in 3d cad and try to import it, get them imported but have problems from there on in doing everything else.

Any pointers or help from anyone out there would be great

Cheers
    Will

Try Meshcam, fairly simple to use and can do both 3 axis and 4 axis machining.
    It only does raster and waterline machining though and while it can be used for basic 2.5D cutting your better with a program like Sheetcam for the basic cutting out jobs that make up the bulk of parts.
    However Meshcam does a really good job with 3D files, the 4th axis indexes round with maching taking place between indexed steps and you can limit how much is machined each time so you can machine a thin segment on each step, works a lot better than it sounds.
    They also have a good forum with questions being answered by various users.

Steve

You might want to consider madCAM:

MadCam Start page

You will also need Rhino:

Modeling tools for designers

madCAM is so easy to learn that you won't need a lot of books and tutorials to become productive in a short time.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

aekdz Guest

Cam software

hi, visit www.picasoft.com" MAYKA is the high technologie and the easy one and most advandced, for more contact me at "[email protected]"

Quote Originally Posted by willheg View Post
    Hi People

just wondering on peoples thoughts for cheap 4th axis CAM Software that is pretty easy to learn and has good tutorials/walkthoughts/books to help me learn it.

Most of the time i will be doing 3 axis but would like the 4th axis as i'm building a machine that will do 4th axis.

I have tried some of the demo packages of the top of line software but strugle to pick up the basics, i have some sample models that i have drawen in 3d cad and try to import it, get them imported but have problems from there on in doing everything else.

Cheers
    Will

aekdz Guest

Cam software

Quote Originally Posted by willheg View Post
    Hi People

Cheers
    Will

Thanks everyone

Thanks to all that have replied

i have tried Mastercam with not to much luck yet, but i think my trile ran out, anyway it did look good but just needed some more time to be able to try it and maybe a few tutorials but oh well oneday maybe.

madCAM looks good but is a bit pricey by the looks of it to me, but i guess whats free these days????

and i have taken a look at MAYKA's site and it looks and sounds good, but yeah i guess i will keep looking round and see what i can come up with or wait and see what other replys i get

but thanks to those that have replied so far
    your time and information has been great

Will

Rhinocam

I have a 6'X10" router that I use Rhinocam basic with a 4 axis add on which ran about $2000. The 4th axis was half of that amount. If your not using the 4th axis every day why not just insert an "A" command at the beginning of the G code and use a series of 3 axis programs. For instance if you were cutting around a cylinder you could use 6, 3 axis programs and insert A60, A120, A180, A240, A300. You sometimes get a better part doing it that anyway because it will cut some under cuts. My 4 axis is really just a 2 axis plus a rotary A, once the spindle is centered on the Y axis on the bridge in relationship to the rotary it never moves, the bridge just goes back and forth on the X axis and the Z and A move, but not the Y. Here's a photo of something i did on a 4th axis.

[IMG]C:\Users\Larry\Desktop\Photos\Bill Feasby[/IMG]

you might want to try CAM Works. go to their website CAMWorks: CNC CAD/CAM Software within SolidWorks

Thanks Again

Thanks again to the people that have replied.

Your information is greatly received and is helping me in deciding on my choice.

Will