584,854 active members*
4,254 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Mechanical Calculations/Engineering Design > Building a Water Table for my new Plasma Table

Building a Water Table for my new Plasma Table

I'm not sure if this is the best place, but here it goes....

I recently bought a 48"x"48" plasma cutting table. Well actually I bought everything but the actual table. I got all the rails, electronics, controls, computer and plasma cutter itself.

I'm looking at making a water table to cut down on the smoke produced by the cutting process. I'd like to be able to fill up to 4" and make the table the size of the cutting area 48"x48".

By my calculations, I would need about 30 Gal to fill it all the way.

My idea is to use a 35 Gal tank from Tractor Supply Leg Style Storage Tank, 35 gal. - 2137324 | Tractor Supply Company

I think with three valves I can make filling and emptying the table pretty easy.

I'd like to put one inlet air connection to feed air pressure from my compressor. This connection would be at the top of the tank above the water level at all times. When filling the table, this valve will be opened and the only place for the pressure to excape is to push the water out of the tube connecting to the table.

A second connection to act as a vent when emptying the table. This will be closed with a solenoid normally. It will be opened when draining the table back into the tank.

A third connection that will have a feed tube to about 1/2" of the bottom of the tank. This would be controlled with a simple ball valve. This would be open when filling or emptying the tank. It will be closed when the table is at the desired level.

I may want to automate the whole process with a float switch so I can auto fill the table and it will stop when it's reached the high mark. This part I will not have any issues with.

Mostly my questions is does this seem possible? I normally run my compressor to 120 PSI, but plan on putting a regulator before the tank. I'm sure I will not need much pressure. I will only be lifting the water maybe 30" to the table. The tank will remain on the ground so gravity can be used to drain the tank.

Maybe someone on this forum has built something like this before.
    Jim Fouch

Jim,

This method of filling and draining a plasma water table has been discussed on here before. I had the same plan when I still owned a plasma table, and my friend will be filling his table the same way.

I'm pretty sure there's a user on here that uses this method and it works fine.

Good luck,
    Paul

This method of raising and lowering water (using the air dispacement method) has been used widely for all types of plasma water tables since 1968.....very common. You will need to ensure that your air pressure is regulated to less than the burst pressure of the tank you will be using....but you need enough to raise the water......which will require about .5 psi per foot of rise. To be safe there should also be a pressure relief or pop-off valve to relieve pressure if something happens that increases pressure beyond the safe pressure for the tank.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Any thoughts on tube size for the fill/drain line?

I'm thinking of using 1" PVC as that's the largest size I can get a Solenoid valve for pretty cheeply. Here is an example 1" Electric Solenoid Valve 12 volt DC VITON SEAL B21V | eBay

I'm not too concerened with how quickly it drains, but I don't want it to take an hour to fill either. I'm just think of how long it takes for my sink to drain and it's just a few gallons. I'm guessing 30 gallons through a 1" tube is going to take a LONG time.

Filling should just be a product of the pressure I use on the regulator. A bit more pressure should increase the flow rate.
    Jim Fouch

The water fill / drain should be 1.5" to 2" as it is low pressure high flow. Usually....to automate it you would use a pilot operated air bladder valve.

Manual control is much cheaper! The air inlet can be just a 3/8" line.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fouch View Post
    Any thoughts on tube size for the fill/drain line?

I'm thinking of using 1" PVC as that's the largest size I can get a Solenoid valve for pretty cheeply. Here is an example 1" Electric Solenoid Valve 12 volt DC VITON SEAL B21V | eBay

I'm not too concerened with how quickly it drains, but I don't want it to take an hour to fill either. I'm just think of how long it takes for my sink to drain and it's just a few gallons. I'm guessing 30 gallons through a 1" tube is going to take a LONG time.

Filling should just be a product of the pressure I use on the regulator. A bit more pressure should increase the flow rate.

Jim,

Thanks for your input.

I think I can use a manual ball valve and then use a DC Gear head motor to turn it. I'll use proximity sensors to know when the valve is Opened/Closed.

I wonder if I could get away with out auto control on the fill/drain line and just shut off the air inlet when I get to the desired level. I can always control height by using the vent and air inlet solenoids.
    Jim Fouch