585,743 active members*
5,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Need Floating Tap Holder For CNC Lathe

Need Floating Tap Holder For CNC Lathe

I am searching for a floating tap holders that can be used in my Century Starn CNC Lathe. I do not have a tool changer on this machine, just a standard 4 post style turret. I have been doing some rigid tapping using the G32 cycle but on larger 5/8 and 3/4 threads the machine gets out of time on the feed out cycle and just stops. I have only heard of these "floating" holder but never actually used one. Any tips on the type to get, place to buy and how to program for them would be much appreciated.

I have used floating holders on older CNC mills but never a lathe. Type I have is a Lindex holder that takes blitz style tap holders. This works quite well. As for programing, most CAM systems will have an option to use a floating holder, they run axis feed a little faster than thread pitch in, then retract faster than pitch to build floating holder tension for exit. This holder has about .5" for insert float and about .75" for exit float. Hope that helps.