585,754 active members*
4,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > what materials for mold and LOGO

what materials for mold and LOGO

I am making some retail store displays and they are complimentary to get my product into the stores, I need to know what material would be economical to machine the mold out of and then some kind or two part? material to pour and use for the RIGID LOGO the are .75 thick (flat on back) and approx 4H x 7W

It is basically a lower case "a" stretched wide and a 45' bevel all the way around and then a small piece crossing the "a" inside the closed loop part.
    looks like an alligator eye from the side.

also need to find some small quantities of 8-32 (same thing I use for cabinet handles) inserts to hold these on top of the display.

thanks for your help
    Gregg

Coastal Enterprises sells lots of different foams which are used for making signs. You could get the foam machined to shape and then you can sand and body work it to get it smooth and then paint it. You can buy 8-32 thread inserts from Mcmaster Carr, grainger, msc, fastenal, etc. and just drill a hole in the back and used 5 minute epoxy to glue them in.

Matt

You make no mention of the type of finish you desire or how many of these you need, so my suggestions may or may not fit.

First I would go with a flexible silicone or urethane mold material. It is easy to work with and relatively inexpensive. Link for one gallon kit: <http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTV-SILICONE-MOLD-MAKING-RUBBER-10-GALLON-KIT-GI-1000-/130593800858?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e67ff 429a>

As for the casting material; a two part urethane or epoxy would be just the ticket. Here is a link to the rigid material. <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Urethane-Casting-Resin-and-Mold-Release-Combination-/140645287350?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bf1c c5b6>. Just be certain the stuff you buy has the properties you need: Paintability, cure time , base color, cost, etc.

I don't necessarily recommend these products as I haven't used them. The links are just a general reference to what you seek. I am lucky in that I have a store nearby that specializes in this stuff so I can walk in and ask questions. <http://www.glueproducts.com/>, perhaps, there is a similar store in your area?

David L. Aery
    www.hooksolutions.com