584,842 active members*
4,214 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 9 6789
    Mike;
    Can you share where you sourced your air cylinder. I've been trolling flebay for weeks now and can't find a used one for under $175 which I'll pay if I have to but don't mind using chinese parts if they do the job.
    Thanks again for all of your time and effort your sharing wiht us all.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Disregard the Above Request

Mike;
    Please disregard the above request for information. It seems silly to worry about a few bucks when I've already invested so much. I bought the Fabco off of fleabay!
    Thanks.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Mike;
    Please disregard the above request for information. It seems silly to worry about a few bucks when I've already invested so much. I bought the Fabco off of fleabay!
    Thanks.
    Bill
    Mike,

There are others that are interested in the off-shore source if you care to share it.

Thanks.

Give "Alison" an email at [email protected] and tell her you want a SDAT100X25X0X0 air cylinder. If you order one, make sure you request that they package it very well with lots of padding. Mine showed up with a few dings in it.

Mike,

Thanks very much for the reference and the shipping advice.

Love the electronics enclosure! I made all of mine fit in a computer case (except the VFD). Will you make an app for the android as well?? God that would be the best thing ever!

Will your app also work with an iPod?

Looking good!
    Is it good to have the VFD in the same enclosure as the PC or cnc electronics?
    I'm no expert here, but I thought the vfd would produce noise which disturbs the cnc electronics?

Growing a beard waiting for updates! get crackin!

my beard would be a foot long if I didn't shave. whats doin' man?? updates?!?

Updates coming soon hopefully. Ive gotten a fair bit done. Will try and find time soon.

I am doing a retrofit on a RF45 mill also. Your stand / chip pan is the best idea I have seen yet. I love it and can't wait to see how you handle the side walls and remainder of the enclosure.

Re: RF45 Clone with full enclosure, coolant, and tool changer

Updates man updates, please I loved your idea for the stand and pan so much I am at about the the same place you left off the photos, just put the pan in. I really want to see what you did since.

Re: Disregard the Above Request

Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by mikemaat View Post
    Tomorrow my Belden VFD Cable shows up. I had to order it from the US, but it shipped pretty quick. It wasn't the cheapest, but it is made for VFD's, so it should work good. The part number is Belden 29501 for anyone interested. This should, hopefully, eliminate the last of the noise coming through the VFD cable..
    Personally I would have put the money into a 3 phase choke (inductor) on the motor side, it reduces switching noise and makes it easier on the drive and the motor.
    As far as liquid seal metalic conduit, I use nothing else, with TEW or MTW tightly twisted and have never had a problem.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Personally I would have put the money into a 3 phase choke (inductor) on the motor side, it reduces switching noise and makes it easier on the drive and the motor.
    As far as liquid seal metalic conduit, I use nothing else, with TEW or MTW tightly twisted and have never had a problem.
    Al.
    I know on the Hitachi VFD I have they tell you not to install a filter/choke on the motor side. Maybe this is because of the Sensorless vector mode or maybe for some other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by engnerdan View Post
    I know on the Hitachi VFD I have they tell you not to install a filter/choke on the motor side. Maybe this is because of the Sensorless vector mode or maybe for some other reason.
    I need to take this statement back, it was not my Hitachi VFD but an old drive at work. The Hitachi gives this diagram.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VFD connection.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	249768

mikemaat,
    I tried to send you a PM Sir, but your box is full.

I'm in the process of building my bench and pan and was hoping you wouldn't mind sharing some dimensional data with me. I love how clean your setup is and would like to produce a clone (to a point) if you don't mind.

Thank you Sir.

Weird about my inbox. Ill check it out.

Absolutely I can share my dimensions with you. Shoot me an email at mmaat AT ualberta DOT ca. One thing to mention off the bat, when you make the coolant pan, make sure to put a heavy cross break leading to the drain. Im dealing with an issue right now were the coolant is finding places to pool without draining.

To everyone else, lots of progress has been made but I cant seem to find time to update the thread. The machine has been done (minus the toolchanger and enclosure) for a long time, but I have gone through a few different upgrade/change iterations. Eventually I will get back here and update the thread.

Cheers.

Just read this whole thread, great work! Hope the progress is coming along nicely

Page 8 of 9 6789