584,866 active members*
4,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > generating tool paths from solids

generating tool paths from solids

I am generating a tool path for the solid in the pic attached. I don't see any way in bobcad to do a roughing pass first with a larger tool, then finishing passes with a smaller one. I can only get it to do the whole part with one size tool (5 hours to machine this with a .062 bit, and thats not even of high enough quality). Am I asking too much of this software?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails corner keys.JPG   corner key path.JPG  
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Let's face it, it's not great software.

It is kind of hard to tell from the picture, but I think it would be hard to get a good finish on that part using a planar toolpath. Or any of the 3 standard solid toolpaths in BobCad. I would guess that your machined part has poor quality vertical surfaces and bosses. As far as the roughing I haven't found any logical way to do it, so I usually do a solid toolpath with a larger cutter, with a much larger stepover and plunge (and sometimes change the Material Top to +.05). What type of tool are you using to cut that part? How large is the part, is it real small, a .062 cutter is pretty small? What is your step over distance?

I was using a .062 cutter with .02 stepover. I was thinking about this last night though and I would actually want to go with a larger diameter and small stepover if I wanted a smoother finish on the flat areas. But then if I do that I can't get the details. So how do other programs do it? I am really frustrated with cam software, it seems for stuff like this it takes longer to machine than if I just offset lines and write the code manually. This really doesn't seem like the right way to do it, I know machine shops aren't doing it this way, so how do they?
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Your part looks like it would be better machined using pockets and contour type tool pathes. If you send the file, I will send you a sample.

I got my copy last week, it is quite a different strategy as from other softwares. I still need much practice to get it but here is my tough about how to handle this.

You'd have to make a ruffing pass with a big tool first (I would make the cutter a bit smaller than in the program or make offset bigger so you have leftovers)
    Then you'd make the contours and surfaces as a finishing pass. With bobCAM, you get to make your own program, so you may insert stuff at the start, then raise tool, then you must select the E..D icon to set heights (z, top, ruffing) then click generate code or insert nc, then you add another section of code for finish, then add another for something else, insert the shutdown spindle macro and you're done. Usually I would set everything in the machining operation... not the case here.

It is a bit slower to make, but you have more control over what's happening. After using visualmill a little, I find it weird, really, but I suppose I'll get over it.

Good luck and keep trying, once you have a strategy, you're set. Give their support a call, usually you'd get 45 day support with the product. Use it! It's you best bet.

Para

Well I have discovered Mastercam X and I am in love. So many features, I had a grin on my face for the first couple hours using it. Very slick!