586,005 active members*
4,928 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Romi Lathes > JAWS OPEN/CLOSED DISTANCE ADJUST EZ PATH 2

JAWS OPEN/CLOSED DISTANCE ADJUST EZ PATH 2

Hey guys,
    kinda of new to the machine here,
    and trying to work out the bugs....so far I've been able to run a few programs....and so far so good
    but for some reason when I open/close the jaws, they travel maybe a half inch if that in either direction...

is there some sort of adjustment code or even manually adjust the travel distance...as of right now I have to loosen the screws and slide the jaws in either direction to accomodate my pieces......not very cost effective. and quite difficult to get the piece to spin true once adjusted.

any help is greatly appreciated.

BRIDGEPORT EZ PATH2

I would assume you have a power chuck. That is normal for power chucks, no adjustment. For fast set ups, quick change chucks are a good answer, but rough cost is 700-1000 per inch of chuck size. For run out, most people use soft jaws and bore them for the job. If its not a full turning center, more of a conventional lathe that's cnc, you can get away with putting a manual chuck on. You just need to find a chuck that is rated for the rpm of the machine, and one that can handle the ramp up and down of the spindle. Scroll chucks can be dangerous on some cnc equipment, as the fast ramp up and down times of modern cnc can open them up letting the part fly.