585,728 active members*
4,843 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alarm 142 A Motor Fault

I have a 2000 VF3 running a HA5C brush style rotary. After about 4 hours of run-time I get alarm 142 that typically occurs when the head is rapiding to position. I don't think anything is wrong with the rotary since I have gotten this alarm every now and again pretty much since it was new. All I have to do to overcome the problem is to hit reset and reduce my rapid to 50%. (Not ideal of course.) I'm thinking this is a parameter issue and was wondering if anyone knows what I can tweak to solve the alarm. Is it possible to reduce rapid speeds for the 4 axis only?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't remember the alarm I got but when that happens to me its either the low voltage supply or a servo amp going bad.....generally its the amp but the low voltage supply has caused it 1 time.

If its been happening since new they should've given you new amps. and tested the old ones. Small price to them.

The way I check it is by changing the servo amp for another, in your case move the Z amp to a different position and see if it goes away...then you know the Z axis amp is bad or going bad.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

On our 2011 TM2, yes you can set up a max rapid/feed for one axis only. Not sure on that control.

In my manual dating back to January 2001 Parameter 49 is A axis acceleration and 50 is A axis maximum speed.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

The alarm you noted is related to the encoder and generally means that it is failing. Running at 50% usually confirms this to me.

If this has indeed been happening since new then it may possibly be parameters. Have your HFO verify your parameters for you or provide you with the proper ones for your rotary.

Not trying to be a jerk, but why have you been running like this for almost 12 years now? This should have been addressed under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk, but why have you been running like this for almost 12 years now? This should have been addressed under warranty.
    I was mainly a prototype shop back then and seldom ran production. Slowly that has changed and now run the head more and more. I could count the number of times on one hand that I used the rotary in the first couple of years so by the time I discovered the problem, I don't think it was still under warranty. What further added to my confusion of the problem is the HA5C works on my VF3 but not my VF4. Likewise, my 310 rotary works on my VF4 but not my VF3, both are brush rotaries and both machines have the heads listed in the parameter setting. So you tell me, is it possible you are wrong about the encoder and I simply have a parameter setting issue....?

Before I jump on your suggestion, I will switch the amps and see what that yields but I thank you for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyMaker94566 View Post
    I was mainly a prototype shop back then and seldom ran production. Slowly that has changed and now run the head more and more. I could count the number of times on one hand that I used the rotary in the first couple of years so by the time I discovered the problem, I don't think it was still under warranty. What further added to my confusion of the problem is the HA5C works on my VF3 but not my VF4. Likewise, my 310 rotary works on my VF4 but not my VF3, both are brush rotaries and both machines have the heads listed in the parameter setting. So you tell me, is it possible you are wrong about the encoder and I simply have a parameter setting issue....?

Before I jump on your suggestion, I will switch the amps and see what that yields but I thank you for your response.
    New information!!!

Since you say it works fine on one machine and not the other, you can compare the parameter settings yourself, though it will take a little time.

One at a time, set both machines to the same rotary and match the parameters of the machine that works to the other.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    New information!!!

Since you say it works fine on one machine and not the other, you can compare the parameter settings yourself, though it will take a little time.

One at a time, set both machines to the same rotary and match the parameters of the machine that works to the other.

Good luck!
    LOL.... I tried that and my rotary stopped working so I had to put it back.... And yes, that did take awhile - not going there again.

before you try amps. there is a setting that you have to play with on the rotary tables that I change when I change 1 of mine from one machine to the other that solves this problem

I didn't see really clue into it until your last response....let me look it up and get back in a few hours
    thanks
    Michael T.

I believe it is the A grid offset but not totally sure as I keep each rotary table with its respective machine now.

I used to have 2 other machines that used them so I had to adjust this all the time.

Hopefully haastec will chime in here....As one of the techs clued me into this when it started on me.

I believe you adjust 128 till the alarm stops but can't remember how or how much....as its been a few years since I had to do it.
    thanks
    Michael T.