586,011 active members*
4,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Kelly's Machine Tool Warehouse - MD001
Page 12 of 13 210111213
    Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    That is sweet looking. What type of material and thickness?

Richard
    Hi Richard,
    Just some .09 aluminum plate I had around the shop. I think something a bit thinner would be nice and I would use 2.5mm flat head screws if I had them, those are 4/40 in the picture.

The opening around the camera flash is to close to the LED and it is reflecting back into the lens when the flash is used.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Hey Kelly,
    I'm like you and do not like the fragile, rigid 1/8" tubing on the fogbuster. Is your tubing mod still working well? No spitting and sputtering?

Thanks
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by kregan View Post
    Slightly frustrating afternoon.... My air pressure regulator/filter was pretty old and the air was fluctuating and leaking a bit. I stopped buy Home Depot and they didn't have a regulator/filter so I figured Sears would have something pretty good. I purchased the only one they stocked and proceeded to spend a few hours installing it. As I go to set pressure I notice it is not a bleed down type, kinda crappy but ok, this is for my power draw bar cylinder so once it is set I won't be messing with it. I turn and turn and turn and the pressure won't come up, then is starts creeping up and climbs to 120... Hmmm turn it down a little, nothing. A little more nothing, a little more and the needle starts falling toward zero (I was bleeding the air manually) back and forth I went until I walked away slightly pissed! :bs: Now I have to take all this junk off and reinstall the old one to get me into next week when the one I ordered from McMaster Carr arrives.

On another note I was not happy with the inflexibility of the fog buster type coolant system so I decided to do a little test. I chopped out the majority of the brass tube and installed a 8" length of R/C airplane fuel tubing. I wanted to see if the coolant flow changed back into a "FOG", I didn't think it would but wanted to see for myself. Anyway it worked fine so I modified my manifold and added the "any which way" tubing to hold the orifice on the end of the now flexible fog buster.

I also knocked out 2 TTS style tool holders. On for the vinyl cutting knife I made a while back and another for an edge finder. I trued the center holes on the mill with a boring bar mounted to a vice on the table.

Yes Richard the flexible lines work fine. In the mill as lathe video's I posted you can see it in action, hard to see the coolant but it is on and working.

Some day I would like to rebuild the control valve to a dual output so the air/coolant could come from 2 directions onto the cutter.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Damn Kelley.....

That cell phone cover is the shiznit....the cats ass.....the beez kneez.....the top o' the pile....I mean to say it looks pretty good dude! Damn I kant wait to be able to make stuff like that again here soon....peace

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    That cell phone cover is the shiznit....the cats ass.....the beez kneez.....the top o' the pile....I mean to say it looks pretty good dude! Damn I kant wait to be able to make stuff like that again here soon....peace

Pete
    Thanks Pete! I understand from your thread you are under the weather... I hope you feel better soon!

You will have the retro fit done soon and will be cutting circles around us! LOL
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

I finally remembered to post that gcode for the mill/lathe op in the video below.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Kelly,

I have a MTW MD001 on order and plan on adding controls. Are you happy with your 400w dmm servo selection? I was looking at going the same route, but maybe puttting a 750 watt on the Z axis, or maybe on all three axis. Let me know, Thanks.

Kelly,

Very impressive CNC conversion you have done here! Also great work on the rc helicopter parts and golf tags.

I have a G0704, but now your thread makes me want to go and get the IH clone MD001. The possibility of having over 11" of Y-travel is very, very tempting. The thought of converting the G0704 without another mill around will be difficult, but having the G0704 available to convert the MD001 would be nice.

The only problem is that Hoss has made such great plans for the G0704 conversion, and no such plans exist for the MD001. Have you considered making plans available for the MD001 CNC conversion?

Titaniumboy

Thank you,

Titamiumboy- I have some cad drawings but they were never completed. I just drew up what I needed as I went along. Maybe I can clean them up a bit and post them here if I can find the time.

Vertcnc - I am happy with the servo's I have. The Z is geared 4:1 and is plenty fast. The X and Y is geared to 3:1 and runs
    about 125-130 inches per minute rapid speed with plenty of power... I could regear the X and Y to 2.5 to 1 ratio but the machine
    runs good as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    Kelly,

Very impressive CNC conversion you have done here! Also great work on the rc helicopter parts and golf tags.

I have a G0704, but now your thread makes me want to go and get the IH clone MD001. The possibility of having over 11" of Y-travel is very, very tempting. The thought of converting the G0704 without another mill around will be difficult, but having the G0704 available to convert the MD001 would be nice.

The only problem is that Hoss has made such great plans for the G0704 conversion, and no such plans exist for the MD001. Have you considered making plans available for the MD001 CNC conversion?

Titaniumboy
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Kelly, what software are using for the engraving. I would like to engrave some belt buckles that I am making.

Awesome build.

My MD001 is sitting on the pallet awaiting the belt changer kit from ArizonaVideo (Dave).

I am still sitting on the fence about CNCing it as I have a CNCed X3 next to it.

Paul

I still plan on stealing his I-Phone cover It's awesome!!! It's bound to turn some heads!!!
    Again, great job Kelly, Keep them a coming!!!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by kregan View Post
    I have some cad drawings but they were never completed. I just drew up what I needed as I went along. Maybe I can clean them up a bit and post them here if I can find the time.
    Kelly,

That would be great if you could post some of your drawings.

A couple of questions if I may:
    1. Why do you have an offset on your X and Y motor mounts?

2. I thought I had heard that Mach3 didn't work with servos?

3. How beneficial was your experience with the RF31 conversion while you were doing the MD001 conversion?

I'm still learning as much as I can. I've still got a lot to learn about simple stuff such as bearings, bearing preload, ballscrew supports, bearing blocks, etc. I finally got over the hump last night with ballscrew supports and bearing blocks by looking at the diagrams here.

Also nervous about how to specify ballscrew length and the machining details on the end of the ballscrew, but I think the info in the link above may be enough to get me over that hurdle.

Thanks again.

Titaniumboy

Kregan,

Did you have the same quality issues on your MTW MD001 (IH Clone) as the guy with the Industrial Hobbies mill in this build thread?

He found casting sand, gouged ways, cuts in the rubber way covers, and poor quality paint.

Titaniumboy

Kelly,
    Hey man just popping in here to say you are doing some nice work with that IH clone. Love those engravings and emblems you did. I am not doing much of anything at all with the VMC here now and I am feeling kinda boring compared to your ingenuity with that machine. I need to setup and make some parts if not just for fun. Hope you are doing well my friend. Peace

Pete

I've spent the last couple of days perusing the Novakon forum and the Torus and Torus Pro, but somehow I keep coming back to the Industrial Hobbies/Machine tool Warehouse MD-001 mill.

Kregan, I looked but couldn't figure out whether your conversion was able to do rigid tapping? It looks like rigid tapping would require a servo spindle rather than a VFD spindle?

How has the mill been working out since you finished the conversion?

Titaniumboy

Hi Pete,
    You need to come up with something you can produce on your machine and start selling just to generate a little income. I was thinking about having you price out some of my frames... I am sure you could cut them better/faster then me. I would hate to see you sell the machine at this point.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX View Post
    Kelly, what software are using for the engraving. I would like to engrave some belt buckles that I am making.
    Awesome build. Paul
    Thank you Viper, I am using CamBam for cad and Autocad or Alibre design for Cad.

Kelly,

That would be great if you could post some of your drawings.
    A couple of questions if I may:
    1. Why do you have an offset on your X and Y motor mounts?
    2. I thought I had heard that Mach3 didn't work with servos?
    3. How beneficial was your experience with the RF31 conversion while you were doing the MD001 conversion?

I'm still learning as much as I can. I've still got a lot to learn about simple stuff such as bearings, bearing preload, ballscrew supports, bearing blocks, etc. I finally got over the hump last night with ballscrew supports and bearing blocks by looking at the diagrams here.

Also nervous about how to specify ballscrew length and the machining details on the end of the ballscrew, but I think the info in the link above may be enough to get me over that hurdle.

Thanks again.

Titaniumboy
    1) offsets? I will post the drawings.

2) Mack 3 works fin with servo's as far as I know. I am very happy with the DMM tech setup's I have used.

3) I learned a lot on the rf31 build but they are almost identical just larger and a little more involved.

Let me get to my office and I will post the drawings that include the ballscrew drawings.

Kregan,

Did you have the same quality issues on your MTW MD001 (IH Clone) as the guy with the Industrial Hobbies mill in this build thread?

He found casting sand, gouged ways, cuts in the rubber way covers, and poor quality paint.

Titaniumboy
    I didn't have a lot of issues but I went into this knowing what to expect from a import machine in this price range. I didn't bother stripping the paint and trying to make the machine look real pretty but the paint seems fine.

I've spent the last couple of days perusing the Novakon forum and the Torus and Torus Pro, but somehow I keep coming back to the Industrial Hobbies/Machine tool Warehouse MD-001 mill.

Kregan, I looked but couldn't figure out whether your conversion was able to do rigid tapping? It looks like rigid tapping would require a servo spindle rather than a VFD spindle?

How has the mill been working out since you finished the conversion?

Titaniumboy
    My machine can't do rigid tapping, like you said a servo is required. For tapping I use a Tapmatic tapping installed on an old drill press I have set up as a dedicated tapping center. For larger holes I plan on using thread milling.

The machine itself has been rock solid. I have done very little to it since I completed the build. If I had it to do over I would switch out the 2HP motor for a 3HP.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    I still plan on stealing his I-Phone cover It's awesome!!! It's bound to turn some heads!!!
    Again, great job Kelly, Keep them a coming!!!

Richard
    Feel free to steal it but I get a % of the profits! LOL
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

^^^ I know that my 2hp motor has enough power to really flex the machine when cutting hard/fast with big tools and it can bury a tool on a mistake and not stall the spindle. I would have no use for another 1hp - the machine is not rigid enough. 2hp seems perfect and the 8K RPM is very helpful.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Quote Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
    ^^^ I know that my 2hp motor has enough power to really flex the machine when cutting hard/fast with big tools and it can bury a tool on a mistake and not stall the spindle. I would have no use for another 1hp - the machine is not rigid enough. 2hp seems perfect and the 8K RPM is very helpful.
    Maybe I need to tweak my VFD settings then? The only time I need the eztra power is during sudden changes in load on the cutter. on a 3/8" endmill I sometimes bog down until the VFD can catch up to the change in load but sometimes that can be to late and the combination of the slower RPM (due to the bog) and heat generated during that short period of time can clog the cutter and then we know what happens.

Flood coolant would help that i'm sure but I use a mist... Don't you use flood?
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Page 12 of 13 210111213