585,761 active members*
4,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Kelly's Machine Tool Warehouse - MD001
Page 13 of 13 3111213
    Quote Originally Posted by kregan View Post
    Maybe I need to tweak my VFD settings then? The only time I need the eztra power is during sudden changes in load on the cutter. on a 3/8" endmill I sometimes bog down until the VFD can catch up to the change in load but sometimes that can be to late and the combination of the slower RPM (due to the bog) and heat generated during that short period of time can clog the cutter and then we know what happens.

Flood coolant would help that i'm sure but I use a mist... Don't you use flood?
    There is no way a 2HP motor should "bog down" with a 3/8" tool, no matter what you're doing. Something is very wrong there....

Regards,
    Ray L.

OK guys here are the drawings. I was reluctant to give them away but the community here helped me so much when I was getting started I thought it best to give a little back.

The drawing is a little disorganized but everything is included, bearing blocks, spacers, belt tensioner, belt drive pulley's, motor mounts, ball screws, DMM tech servo's, and the entire mill.

Very few items are labeled with the exception of the ball screws that are fully dimensioned and labeled just as I sent them to Liniermotionbearings for cutting.

All the gears, belts, bearing etc. Along with part numbers and drawings are included. The Fabco cylinder draw is the one I purchased from Ebay.

All I ask is that you keep the drawing for your personal use only. Enjoy!
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    There is no way a 2HP motor should "bog down" with a 3/8" tool, no matter what you're doing. Something is very wrong there....

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Hi Ray,
    It only happens for a second or and only on certain cuts. Like if I am running a odd shaped pocket with a 40% radial engagement and part of the pocket goes to a narrow section that turns into a full slotting situation. Does that make sense? It's hard to explain.

It is like the VFD is not sensing the load change and adjusting quick enough so the machine bogs for a second, then catches up. It has the power to make the cut no problem but the slight time delay has caused aluminum to weld itself to the cutter and then all hell breaks loose! LOL

I am running a belt reduction to get to 6000 RPM. 1750 RPM motor driven to 3000 RPM via the VFD and a 1:2 belt reduction. Doesn't that reduce the HP to 1 ?
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Quote Originally Posted by kregan View Post
    Hi Ray,
    It only happens for a second or and only on certain cuts. Like if I am running a odd shaped pocket with a 40% radial engagement and part of the pocket goes to a narrow section that turns into a full slotting situation. Does that make sense? It's hard to explain.

It is like the VFD is not sensing the load change and adjusting quick enough so the machine bogs for a second, then catches up. It has the power to make the cut no problem but the slight time delay has caused aluminum to weld itself to the cutter and then all hell breaks loose! LOL

I am running a belt reduction to get to 6000 RPM. 1750 RPM motor driven to 3000 RPM via the VFD and a 1:2 belt reduction. Doesn't that reduce the HP to 1 ?
    Belt reduction does not change power, only torque. But the point is 2HP is all the power a machine that size can handle. My Novakon Torus Pro has a 2HP spindle, and I can't bog it down using 1/2" endmills and the most aggressive cuts the machine frame can handle. You've got a problem with either your motor or VFD. A higher power is not a solution, it's a band-aid.

Regards,
    Ray L.

No flood, just mist for me. Which after using flood at work is a serious limitation when wanting to haul ass.

I recently drove a 1/2" tool .25" deep doing a helix entry at 120 IPM because I screwed up the stock definition and started cutting with the lead-in parameters. I caught it at the full .25" deep and at the end of the first complete helix loop of a 1" diameter pcoket. Spindle was really loaded, but still cutting, and starting to weld huge chips to the tool.

I also screwed up zeroing my work with a flip of the edge finder offset going in to clean up a finish pass - ended up taking a 3/8" tool into a full slot at .5" deep at 20 IPM, it also loaded up the spindle, but it cut for a few inches and was not stopping without the red button.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Kelly, thank you for the software information and your mechanical drawings. I'm still on hold waiting for my belt drive kit from ArizonaVideo (Dave). Of course I haven't welded up the stand for the mill as I am modifying the stand for my Rong Fu Round Column RF31 and a MIG welding cart. Every project has sub projects.

Kelly,

Wow, thanks for the upload of drawings for your IH clone CNC conversion. Very generous of you.

Have you considered providing the machined parts as a kit?

Has everyone seen the 3D model done by zincboy for the IH clone? He did the model in Alibre, but has provided some other formats also. I have a student copy of Solidworks, but that expires soon and I'm going to have to look into Alibre.

Titaniumboy

Kelly,

Another "Thank you" for the drawings.

Kelly,

Have you changed the spindle bearing? Mine see a little noisy and was thinking of replacing them.

Just noticed the post with the drawings! That's awesome that you decided to post them up. It would have been incredibly useful on my round of CNC'ing my machine! I may well redo some stuff with some of your ideas, thank you for posting them up

Hi guys,

Yes I did replace the bearing and the part numbers are in this thread. I am sorry I don't have the bearing numbers on at hand right now.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Belt reduction does not change power, only torque. But the point is 2HP is all the power a machine that size can handle. My Novakon Torus Pro has a 2HP spindle, and I can't bog it down using 1/2" endmills and the most aggressive cuts the machine frame can handle. You've got a problem with either your motor or VFD. A higher power is not a solution, it's a band-aid.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Thank's Ray, i'm sure it is a VFD setting but I am not sure what setting to test first. The VFD will a compensate and get back up to speed quickly but the time delay in doing so can open the door to chip welding with a mist system.

I need to sit down with the manual and look at all the motor settings and test them one by one.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

kregan;
    Forgive me for jumping in here without reading all the thread history, but I was having a very similar power problem with a leeson 2hp 3ph in combination with an Hitachi VFD. As usual, it turned to be my fault as it was a motor wiring winding problem. I had not rewired the motor for 220V for use with the vfd. If you haven't already investigated this avenue, check your wiring for accuracy and make sure to set the vfd accordingly.
    Hope you get it straightened out. It will make a world of difference in finish and in attitude!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Re: Kelly's Machine Tool Warehouse - MD001

How do you fasten the Poly-V pulley to the spindle's spline shaft ?? Or if it the pulley is interfacing with a splined coupler/sleeve, how do you fasten the pulley to the coupler ??

Need more information, like which poly-v pulley?

Please Check our New 10" Touch Screen CNC Controller - Made in UK

Kickstarter Link below

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...oject&term=cnc

You Tube Link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6soNUxN900&t=118s

Some Photos Below

Page 13 of 13 3111213