585,567 active members*
3,345 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mill to lathe CNC software.

I would like to turn some parts on my CNC mill, I make a very simple part out of 1" 6061 where I need to turn two different diameters in the shaft. I am not sure how to generate this tool path my Cad/Cam system Aspire by Vetric does not have a simple way to make this toolpath.

My controller is a Proto Trak AGE3 and it also does not have an easy way to do this. This leaves me with hand writing G-Code which I do not know how to do or buy another Cad/Cam program that will do this.

Is there an inexpensive program I can buy to accomplish this? I want to learn to write G-code also but I am not sure where to get started or what to read. It was suggested to me to read the manual that Haas puts out and I have read some of it but it is not clear to me how to do this.

I may just pay someone to write it for me if I can't figure it out on my own.

Thanks Mike

Mike
    No offence but you shouldnt be running a cnc machine in the first place if you DONT understand G code. its not only expensive if you screw up its dangerous and frankly down right stupid.

your wasting your money on any cadcam system and your time, cause you have no clue what the output is going to look like.

Have someone with the same type of machine send you a sample program, surely there is a sample program in your machine now? if not ask the person you bought it from for one or look online for one.

Delw

a quick search found some info.
    Software Downloads for Previous Models of ProtoTRAK CNC

Resources-Manuals for TRAK Knee Mills, Bed Mills, Lathes, and ProtoTRAK CNCs for Non-current Products

down load the manuals
    email these guys ad ask for sample program.
    ----->

google your machine and add programming to it ie
    Proto Trak AGE 3 program

lots of info

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    Mike
    No offence but you shouldnt be running a cnc machine in the first place if you DONT understand G code. its not only expensive if you screw up its dangerous and frankly down right stupid.

your wasting your money on any cadcam system and your time, cause you have no clue what the output is going to look like.

Have someone with the same type of machine send you a sample program, surely there is a sample program in your machine now? if not ask the person you bought it from for one or look online for one.

Delw
    Thanks for your concern but I have been successfully running a CNC router making thousands of parts for 4 years now. I am not that new and yes I have read the manual for the Trak AGE 3 controller. What I am trying to accomplish needs to be hand written or a Cad/Cam system the turning an under cut in a spinning shaft is not a normal milling operation covered by the AGE 3 manual. The code needs to be in a format for a Fanuc 6. I have not found any information on how to hand write for a Fanuc 6.

I thought this forum was for asking questions like this.

I am 51 years old and have been machining cutting and welding for over 30 years and still have both arms and all my fingers and thumbs. I do not blindly go into this stuff until I have a good grasp on what I am doing that is why I am asking and not just crashing parts.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gundawg View Post
    What I am trying to accomplish needs to be hand written or a Cad/Cam system the turning an under cut in a spinning shaft is not a normal milling operation covered by the AGE 3 manual.
    I thought this forum was for asking questions like this.

Mike
    a lathe chucks the part and the part spins and the tools stay stationary.
    A mill has a stationary part ( unless on a c axis) and the tool rotates.

your part is very "NORMAL" to do in a mill. you buy a mill grooving tool and run a circle with your table. The part DOES NOT spin the tool does.

Its SIMPLE/NORMAL G-CODE Nothing special

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    a lathe chucks the part and the part spins and the tools stay stationary.
    A mill has a stationary part ( unless on a c axis) and the tool rotates.

your part is very "NORMAL" to do in a mill. you buy a mill grooving tool and run a circle with your table. The part DOES NOT spin the tool does.

Its SIMPLE/NORMAL G-CODE Nothing special
    The profile is shaped like a capital I the undercut is between two larger profile diameters. The mill paths I have programed come straight down on the Z axis that would cut through the top larger profile. I am not saying it can't be done I know it can I just don't know how. My router table does not use Gcode it has a code written by Shopbot the maker of the router table and the controller I could write that code to do this by hand but it is much simpler than Gcode.

What I have experienced with my router table cutting plastic is when doing a round profile the cut has a chattered finish I have not cut a round profile with my mill yet so maybe the servo motors will give a better finish on round cuts than my router with stepper motors does. I figured if the part could be spun in the spindle and cut with a lathe bit I would get a good surface finish. Maybe I should give it a try first and go from there. I guess I can program a profile path to and arc to get the under cut I can try that and see how the finish comes out.

Mike

Mike
    Check your PM