585,604 active members*
3,272 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Industrial temperature control solution

Industrial temperature control solution

I have a need for a temperature controller which will use a thermocouple as the setpoint and a different thermocouple as feedback.

I have 2 heaters and I want the second one to follow the temperature of the first. I want to use a TC in the first one to determine the setpoint for the controller of the second one.

I would prefer a discrete controller although PLC may be an option if necessary. I have a few vendors working on it but I'd appreciate any input regarding this type of controller, it seems none of the standard controllers have this ability.

Thanks
    Matt

One of the biggest names in temp control is Omega, I believe they have an engineering dept that you can run you your requirements past them and see if they have anything off the shelf or suggestions.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    One of the biggest names in temp control is Omega, I believe they have an engineering dept that you can run you your requirements past them and see if they have anything off the shelf or suggestions.
    Al.
    Agree with Al. Doing the same thing here for 10 machines. Expensive, but no messing around.

Omega is one of the ones working on it. Their best answer so far is a $650 PLC solution and then I have to buy a comms cable and write the control algorithm in ladder logic. I was hoping for plug and play as I don't have alot of time to get this project done.

Matt

TC controller

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Omega is one of the ones working on it. Their best answer so far is a $650 PLC solution and then I have to buy a comms cable and write the control algorithm in ladder logic. I was hoping for plug and play as I don't have alot of time to get this project done.

Matt
    1. This appears to me to be an inexpensive solution.

2. Maybe you shouldn't have taken on this project if you don't have time to give it a proper solution.(chair)

Quote Originally Posted by p38nut View Post
    1. This appears to me to be an inexpensive solution.

2. Maybe you shouldn't have taken on this project if you don't have time to give it a proper solution.(chair)

1. I was just stating the cost for general info, I don't think its expensive either.

2. If only I had the option. Building custom test systems on (relatively)short timelines is what pays the bills. That and putting out the proverbial fires.

I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, borderline OCD about certain things. I'm not gonna short change the quality of my work due to a tight timeline, I just have to work more hours.

I just got off the phone with Eurotherm. For a little more than Omega, they have a discrete controller which will take a TC input as a setpoint. Only a few parameters and a little labview style function block programming and I'm in business. I am already familiar with this family of controllers so the learning curve should not be too steep.

Thanks for all the input
    Matt