585,712 active members*
3,928 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > fly cutting steel. chip not clearing so scratches surface when cutter rotates

fly cutting steel. chip not clearing so scratches surface when cutter rotates

i am fly cutting some a36 steel. i am having some problems where i guess the chips are not clearing properly, perhaps stuck to the cutting tool intermittently, so it ends up scratching the surface and thus makes these random circles over my surface.

its really annoying

how do I fix the problem? I dont have flood coolant system. I also tried to remove less material and cut at higher rpm so it shoots the chips further when possible, but there will always be this random occurrence once in a while where the chip maybe sticks to the cutting edge, follows the rotation and cuts into the steel piece. this essentially leaves random circles on my otherwise flat surface.

whats solution to fixing this?

Tool tip air blow

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Tool tip air blow
    YEP!

finish

Quote Originally Posted by autobot View Post
    i am fly cutting some a36 steel. i am having some problems where i guess the chips are not clearing properly, perhaps stuck to the cutting tool intermittently, so it ends up scratching the surface and thus makes these random circles over my surface.
    /
    try oil brushed on steel or use a plastic squeeze bottle or spray wd-40. you do not need much. a coating of oil can help with chips sticking to cutting edge

Use a carbide insert, of the correct grade and geometry for the A36, and run it fast and dry with lots of air. You need to get that chip even hotter.

Make sure cutter dia engagement isn't more than about 75% of dia, and you're climb cutting.