585,954 active members*
4,142 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Capturing flute length (max depth of cut) in SprutCAM

Capturing flute length (max depth of cut) in SprutCAM

Hi,

I'm trying to better detect tool holder collision and exceeding the length of my flutes on some tools. I think Sprut could alert me to any oversights if I put more info into the SprutCAM tool library.

At first I thought setting the tool length "L" equal to flute length might be a good approach. Then make the remainder of the tool shank part of the tool holder, followed by the TTS geometry itself. But that breaks the reusability of tool holder types across tools (meaning, I'd have to define a holder for each tool, not just once per holder type).

How do you handle this?

Thanks,
    Dave

L is flute length. You edit the Overhang value to adjust how much of the tool sticks out of the tool holder.

Overhang is actually the overall length of the tool holder, from the TTS shoulder to the end of the tool. So it's the same value as what you'll measure when you put the tool holder and tool on the Tormach surface plate and measure it with the height gauge.

You are right. Sprut will detect when the shank of a tool collides with the workpiece.

Pictures being worth a thousand words, here's three examples; the standard Tormach face mill, a 1/2" end mill, and a homemade slitting saw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails facemill.JPG   endmill.JPG   slittingsaw.JPG  

Thanks TXFred. I get it now.

Dave

OK, I spoke too soon. I think I totally understand the setup of the tool and holder. And Sprut does give me a "contact with holder" warning on the toolpaths.

However, I just created a tool with .5" flutes (L) and .5" of shank showing before the holder. I can see in the tool library drawing .5" of yellow (L) and .5" of white (shank) and my holder, so I'm sure I entered the cutter data properly.

Sprut had no problem allowing me to make a .75" deep pocket in one pass. That would not work in real life.

Have I missed something, or is it just not that smart?

Dave

That's strange that Sprut did not catch that. I've had it flag similar issues on several occasions, albeit not during a pocketing operation. Usually it's during a contour or surfacing operation.

What version are you running? I'm on Sprut Version 7, Build 1.5, Rev 45786. It seems to be a minimally buggy version.

By the way, there's a dedicated SprutCAM forum here on the Zone. There's lots of good advice and helpful people there. You'll get more info there than here, since not every Tormach owner uses SprutCAM.

SprutCAM - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

Cheers,
    Frederic

Frederic,

When you found my other problem (thanks! and I actually posted that one to SprutCAM forum), I upgraded from 7 build 1.2 to build 1.6 (the current as of that day). That did fix the previous problem.

Now today I tried to revert to build 1.5, which you seem to be having good luck with. Now I'm all jacked up. My projects opened in 1.6 won't open in 1.5. So, I have re-installed 1.6.

I hope it's not any less stable/useful than 1.5.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gsnorcal View Post
    Now today I tried to revert to build 1.5, which you seem to be having good luck with. Now I'm all jacked up. My projects opened in 1.6 won't open in 1.5. So, I have re-installed 1.6.
    I didn't catch on that those two threads were from the same person.

I think that's pretty bad that you can't go back to 1.5. I'm glad of the warning. I'm going to avoid upgrading for a while.

Frederic