584,833 active members*
5,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Old Italian Made CNC Lathe HELP
Page 1 of 3 123

Old Italian Made CNC Lathe HELP

I found an older Italian made CNC lathe that was used in a high school shop class, it is a Meccanica Cortini H105. Can anyone tell me something about this machine as he wants to sell it, I may be interested but don't know what it would take to get it running, software, computer connection etc??

Has anyone even heard of it before?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

No, but it would be a great candidate for mach3.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Well, this is what I was hoping for. Please tell me what makes it a great candidate for Mach3? Would you not need to know what is there first? Controllers, servos etc? Or are you suggesting using the bare bone mechanics and adding servos etc?

Thanks

You might end up needing to change the driver boards, but I'll bet it's stepper already. I wouldn't fool around with older software, most older pc stuff was crap. Mach 3 looks pretty configurable, and since the lathe is already cnc, you won't need to modify anything to get it going, at least not compared to changing over a manual machine.

You might end up needing to change the driver boards, but I'll bet it's stepper already. I wouldn't fool around with older software, most older pc stuff was crap. Mach 3 looks pretty configurable, and since the lathe is already cnc, you won't need to modify anything to get it going, at least not compared to changing over a manual machine.
    Yes, I believe that it has stepper motors. I have several manual lathes and am very familiar with them, additionally I work with computers and write software and have an electronics background, however, I have ZERO CNC experience and rather than try and convert my 12X36 into CNC I am looking for a machine that will take little work to get it working with something like Mach3, so this sounds like a good start then.

Thank you for your help.

New acquisition Meccanica Cortini H105

Well, I took the plunge and made the purchase (didn't cost much, I spent more on gas as it weighs in excess of 350 LBS). When I saw this thing live, I had to have it (built like a tank, no plastic all metal). The pictures don't do it justice. Aside from a few scratches from being in storage, it seems truly new, zero signs of wear. Okay, now I need to figure out what to do to get it running, I have no manuals or information on this thing. Where do I start. I am a complete CNC newbie.

I have included some photos. In the last photo, can someone tell me about the "over sized" parallel looking connectors?

Any input, suggestions, guidance, and/or help on where to start would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Chad1522 View Post

Yes, that is my desire, I have been studying the Mach3 software and I am sold... However, I need to figure out first how to power up the lathe as well as interfacing it with my computer. This is where I need some suggestions on how to approach it.

Bob

Looks like a beautiful little machine, the connectors are made by Wieland Bamberg for one manuf.
    Do you have the mating connectors and wiring, also the machine schematics or manuals?
    Otherwise you are in for some 'reverse engineering'.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

You must get horrible gas mileage, or you stole that thing! Nice buy!

You must get horrible gas mileage, or you stole that thing! Nice buy!
    My gas mileage is not the best, however it was a 500 mile round trip! BUT, I had to go that way on business anyway ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Looks like a beautiful little machine, the connectors are made by Wieland Bamberg for one manuf.
    Do you have the mating connectors and wiring, also the machine schematics or manuals?
    Otherwise you are in for some 'reverse engineering'.
    Al.

Hi Al, NO, that is the problem no mating connectors and NO manuals or schematics. Anything (which is not much) that I can find using Google is in Italian. However, the company is still around, but looks like they only make industrial sized machines now. I guess I will write them and see if they have the manual, schematics and or any technical information.

Thanks
    Bob

I have used those connectors in the past, although nice, as you may imagine are pricey, it may be easier/cheaper to rewire and hard wire back to the control, which could be situated at the end of any bench you mount it on.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi Billbert,

That looks like a really nice piece of iron. Are the driver boards in the base of the head stock? How about pulling off the guards and posting some photos?

Does the spindle have an intergral motor?
    Regards,
    Mark

very lovely machine

that machine seems really good for production runs also. (just look at its shiny box ways) my god! lucky you.
    I would also love to see inside that 6 position turret. it seems to be an Emco type turret with ratchet and pawl driven with that DC motor.
    Again, congrats for that beautiful babe.

regards,
    jasminder singh
    It is better to die for something than to live for nothing.

More Photos

Quote Originally Posted by jasminder View Post
    that machine seems really good for production runs also. (just look at its shiny box ways) my god! lucky you.
    I would also love to see inside that 6 position turret. it seems to be an Emco type turret with ratchet and pawl driven with that DC motor.
    Again, congrats for that beautiful babe.

regards,
    jasminder singh

When loading the machine into my truck yesterday, the guy said he thinks it weighs about 500 pounds, I personally can not see that as it is not that big. However, it is more than I can lift and I can lift 250 pretty easily. Anyway, I need to move it from my garage, down into my basement shop, once there, I will dismantle it to see what there is and I will post photos.

Thanks

Toni's web site has a bit of info on your lathe:

Page Title

Looks like the spindle does have an integral motor. Cool.
    Regards,
    Mark

cortini lathe H105

Quote Originally Posted by BillBert View Post
    Hi Al, NO, that is the problem no mating connectors and NO manuals or schematics. Anything (which is not much) that I can find using Google is in Italian. However, the company is still around, but looks like they only make industrial sized machines now. I guess I will write them and see if they have the manual, schematics and or any technical information.

Thanks
    Bob
    Hi
    I recently bought a lathe H105 this is a schematic of my plug. Hopefully this will help you.
    Thanks
    R-oglers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SCAN0008.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by RotarySMP View Post
    Hi Billbert,

That looks like a really nice piece of iron. Are the driver boards in the base of the head stock? How about pulling off the guards and posting some photos?

Does the spindle have an intergral motor?
    In the next few days, I will move it into my basement shop and at that point I will start tinkering and I will take lots of photos to post.

Yes, from what I understand that spindle is part of the motor.

Thank you R-oglers

What a wonder the web is. I purchased this machine 2 days ago and could not find a single soul who know anything about it, so I posted questions here. R-oglers who wasn't a registered CNCzone user until yesterday after seeing my questions. Now I have a much better understanding of this machine as well as some valuable information. Thank you very much Roger!

P.S. this machine weighs 330 LBS, so not as heavy as I was told but yet heavy for the size and the spindle motor is a 1 H.P. D.C. motor. A pretty hefty motor for a smaller lathe.

I will keep posting as things come up.

Thanks to all..
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn4638 View Post
    Toni's web site has a bit of info on your lathe:
    Yes, that was the first place I went before I purchased this machine as I am very familiar with that site.

At this point I have the owner's manual which has answered a lot of questions and I spoke with another person who also has one of these machines and he was a wealth of information.

So this is where I stand, I think! I need to find a suitable CNC MICRO-STEPPER MOTOR DRIVER and I am looking at ones offered by MECHATRONICS as I would like to run this machine with either Mach3 or EMC2. As I understand it, I should be able to run the steppers with one of these boards, I still need to confirm some details. The one thing that I am not sure about is controlling the spindle speed with Mach3, and what type of interface I would need to do that.

Any information or suggestions on what I should do would be greatly appreciated, or if I am way off base a heads up would also be appreciated.

Thanks
    Bob

Page 1 of 3 123