585,763 active members*
4,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > ER-25 Straight Shank to convert to TTS

ER-25 Straight Shank to convert to TTS

I am starting to want some ER-collet chucks in TTS as well as my set-screw holders and have been looking at the Tormach stuff. Problem is I already have a nice set of ER-25 collets and have no intention of buiying a new set of ER-20's to match the Tormach offering. However while I can find some straight shank chucks they often come with rather long shanks of 4" to 6".

Maritool as some with a reasonable sized shank but they cost just as much as the Tormach TTS ones do and I still have to adapt them. I have not had a lot of luck finding others with ER-25. Any other good places to look that you all know of. I want to avoid total junk but would like to keep the cost as reasonable as possible.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

I'm wondering about this as well, but want er32.

Can you not just chop the shank to whatever length you want??

-Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dugpits View Post

-Doug
    I guess the 'ol chop saw could but I hate hacking on things if I can avoid it. That adversion grows as the cost increases. I guess if it were cheap enough I wouldn't worry much.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Many years ago, I got my ER25 Straight shank adapter from:
    <http://www.usshoptools.com>
    I just pulled down their pdf file on them and they have a 3/4" x 2.5" ER20 adapter for $66 and an ER25 3/4x2.5 for $73.50
    The smallest shank they have for an ER32 is 1" and shaft length of 2.5" for $77
    HTH
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Quote Originally Posted by dugpits View Post

-Doug
    I did just exactly that.. and used Tormach's adaptor ring conversion. I just cut it off with a chopsaw and dressed the end. It worked great, but you won't be able to use it with the Tormach ATC if you purchase one. If you are not using it on a Tormach mill or don't plan to use their ATC, then that wouldn't be an issue.

Here are the ones I bought:

Ebay item#: 160636266132

There are several outfit selling straight shank ER adaptors on ebay.

Here's one for ER25. I haven't tried these, though.

Ebay item#: 150697324239

Well I got 2 Mari-tool chucks and it's not been a super-fantastic thing thus far. The chucks are great one measures somewhere under 0.0005" in runout if you hold it just on the shank the other is a little worse, just over that mark. However if I jam them all the way up and let the ring seat against the nose then it's runout city. 2 to 5 thousandths. I have a little concern that it may be the depth of the ring relief. All my other tools will easily go all the way up to the nose with no gap even before you draw it up. The ER's with the ring don't, they stop with a visible gap that 'seems' to disappear as you draw it up. Didn't notice that till I was done and was measuring the runout.

I'm thinking before I go any further I may go ahead and order a TTS 3/4 collet instead of the standard R8. I also have my doubts however that the shoulder on the ER chuck is certain to be flat and perfectly perpendicular to the shank so I think a touch up on the lathe might not be a bad idea to face the mating surface of the ring. I can measure a bit of wobble on that even though it dried while locked in the spindle.

Well, I got the Tormach TTS collet but the issue was unchanged though the rings on the chucks would now run right up to the nose. So it was over to the lathe. I used some pins I turned for another project to hold in the ER collets and then used my Bison 3 jaw to grab the pins. Took a few skim passes on the top of the rings and checked them again. Both were now running about 0.001" so I think that rear shoulder on the chucks is not perfectly reliable to be perpendicular to the taper axis. I may try holding it by the shank and using right-hand tool to skim it again and see if I can't get them below 0.001" but that's much more usable already.