584,830 active members*
5,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Need some help choosing a milling machine

Need some help choosing a milling machine

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I need some help choosing a milling machine for the future. I was told this was the place to get some great help.

I have been wanting to get into making ar lowers and uppers along with 1911 frames and other gun parts for a while. The only problem is I am not sure of the equiptment to get.
    I know I need a cnc machine but not sure of any good brands to get. I figure it would be extreamly hard to do it with a manual mill. I heard that there were cnc ball screw kits that you can put on a milling machine to help it do work automatically but not sure.
    Also what computer softwear would i need assuming I have a cnc machine? I want to make some minor changes to some of the frames and need to tell the machine what I want. Would I be able to get plans for a lower and put it in the program and modify it from there? Can you guys help with some info? I am looking to try to get a machine for my house and for a reasonable price.
    I am going to gunsmithing school next year and im sure I will learn a lot more there but want to get as much of and idea of what is good to get now rather than later
    Thanks

You might want to watch a few videos on youtube first to get an idea on what is involved.

What you are asking to do is a fairly advanced machining project that most people would not attempt without a few years making parts with a CNC.

You did not say much about you skill level?

While there are many people here who convert manual milling machines to CNC, you may find that the conversion becomes a big enough project that you spend your time working on your machine instead of milling receivers. So, a "turnkey" CNC machine might make more sense for you (albeit at greater expense).

To get a sense of what such a turnkey machine might be like, do a search for "Tormach" or take a look at Home | Tormach LLC | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items

The advice given by arizonavideo above is a good place to start.

Also, you might find some useful information (including some firearm-related drawings) at CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - Home of the AR45

I looked at cnc guns actually. it seems to be a good site